Roll-back to SP1?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking (More info?)

I have to confess that after the trouble I had making the wireless network
do neat things like share files, printers and the internet connection,
installing SP2 fills me with dread. Is rolling-back easy?

--

Falcon:T
fide, sed cui vide. (L)

Falcon wrote:
> I have to confess that after the trouble I had making the wireless
> network do neat things like share files, printers and the internet
> connection, installing SP2 fills me with dread. Is rolling-back easy?

Yes , as long as you ticked the appropriate box when installing it.

Just go to add/remove programs and click remove

--
Alex

"We are now up against live, hostile targets"

"So, if Little Red Riding Hood should show up with a bazooka and a bad
attitude, I expect you to chin the bitch! "

www.drzoidberg.co.uk
www.ebayfaq.co.uk

"Dr Zoidberg" <AlexNOOOOO!!!!@drzoidberg.co.uk> wrote in message
> Falcon wrote:
> > I have to confess that after the trouble I had making the wireless
> > network do neat things like share files, printers and the internet
> > connection, installing SP2 fills me with dread. Is rolling-back easy?
>
> Yes , as long as you ticked the appropriate box when installing it.
>
> Just go to add/remove programs and click remove

Thanks Alex.

--

Falcon:
fide, sed cui vide. (L)

Falcon wrote:

> "Dr Zoidberg" <AlexNOOOOO!!!!@drzoidberg.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Falcon wrote:
>> > I have to confess that after the trouble I had making the wireless
>> > network do neat things like share files, printers and the internet
>> > connection, installing SP2 fills me with dread. Is rolling-back easy?
>>
>> Yes , as long as you ticked the appropriate box when installing it.
>>
>> Just go to add/remove programs and click remove
>
> Thanks Alex.

Might consider this article before rushing to up to SP2

burris
-----------

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.09/view.html?pg=3

Just tried SP2 today after reading many of the comments on this Newsgroup, I
figured that it could not be as bad as everyone was saying. It was worse!

After a while I finaly managed to get my wireless to talk to my office
again, but if I tried to conect with a wired connection forget it. Despite
the fact that the system is configured with a shared Internet connection for
some reason the LAN connection picked an ISP different from the range
normally, in fasct I could not figure out where it came from.

After four hours turning firewalls on and off I finaly gave up and used
sytem restore to take me back to a where everything worked.

I would recommend using sytem restore and not uninstall if you want to get
rid of it after all your frustrating tries, at least that way any
configuration changes you have made will also revert back to where they were.

Good luck, I think you will need it!

"burris" <responder@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Falcon wrote:
>
>> "Dr Zoidberg" <AlexNOOOOO!!!!@drzoidberg.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Yes , as long as you ticked the appropriate box when installing it.
>>>
>>> Just go to add/remove programs and click remove
>>
>> Thanks Alex.
>>
> Might consider this article before rushing to up to SP2
>
> burris
> -----------
>
> http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.09/view.html?pg=3

Too late; already done. The download took 45 minutes and installation
another 45 but I just let it chunter away - and I'm happy to say that
everything worked like a dream. The network is still solid (Netgear DG834G
router plus MA111 USB adaptor on the laptop) and I can see and work with all
shared folders *and* send jobs to the printer in the office upstairs. Not
only that, but the problem I had under SP1 (with missing icons from the
system tray) has disappeared.

In fact, I'm a very happy bunny.

--

Falcon:
fide, sed cui vide. (L)

"Falcon" <falcon@irishgroups.net> wrote in message

> "burris" <responder@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
[...]

>> Might consider this article before rushing to up to SP2
>>
>> burris
>> -----------
>>
>> http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.09/view.html?pg=3
>
> Too late; already done. The download took 45 minutes and installation
> another 45 but I just let it chunter away - and I'm happy to say that
> everything worked like a dream. The network is still solid (Netgear DG834G
> router plus MA111 USB adaptor on the laptop) and I can see and work with
> all shared folders *and* send jobs to the printer in the office upstairs.
> Not only that, but the problem I had under SP1 (with missing icons from
> the system tray) has disappeared.

SP2 is now rolled-out on the main desktop PC (wired to router) and the
laptop (wireless connection). All file-sharing and print-sharing services
still work and the wireless network is still extremely stable. SP2 even
turned off its own firewall after detecting that McAfee's firewall was
running on the desktop. Frankly, I didn't have to do a thing - it was just
like a fairly normal, (if slightly long), windows update session; so I have
to say, from my perspective, well done Microsoft.

--

Falcon:
fide, sed cui vide. (L)

>I have to confess that after the trouble I had making the wireless
>network
> do neat things like share files, printers and the internet connection,
> installing SP2 fills me with dread. Is rolling-back easy?
>
> --
>
> Falcon:T
> fide, sed cui vide. (L)

Do some cleanup before installing SP2. Disk cleanup, defrag, sfc
/scannow from a command prompt, no running apps except firewall and
antivirus, set your own SP1 restrore point, remove old restore points,
don't install SP2 during thunderstorms or hurricanes, and lock up the
cat.