Room vs CPU temp: so high!

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Hello to everybody.

First of all my system specs:

Athlon 1.2, no overclock, running at 1.67v (aprox)
Titan D5BT (aluminium), 80x80 fan @ 3250rpm (aprox also)
Epox 8KHA+
512 DDR @ CAS 2
Gainward GF3 200/458
W98SE

Well, my question is NOT about CPU temps, but room - CPU difference. I have done the following test:

- Open case, so airflow is maxed (at least I think it's difficult to have a better one closed with fans, right?)
- Run toast.exe for an hour to stress CPU.
- Motherboard Monitor used to monitor temps.

Now, the temps are about 33º Celsius for mobo temp and about 50º for CPU temp. In other words, the difference is 16 degrees or more in almost all readings! Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this difference is too high. (Note: also bear in mind that I run the K7 at 1.67v, not at 1.75v, cause I want the CPU spread the less heat possible)

I think that maybe it's because:
- the HSF is made of aluminium (not copper), but how degrees can go down changing the HSF?
- I suppose a fan with higher rpm also will help, but it's the true problem? Think that the case is open so air flows very easy.

Any idea / suggestion / comment will be apreciate. Also any question will be answered :)

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!

gal128

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
Seems about right to me. AMD CPUs run a little hotter then Pentiums and my P4 2.26B runs at 41C idle and 48C playing games. You have an older, bigger processor so that temp seems like it would be in range. As long as your system runs stable then your shouldn't be worried.

HULK SMASH!!!

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Ummm... your CPU should always be higher than your mobo temp. Your mobo doesn't do all those calculations, only the currents running through the mobo heats it. The CPU has to work friggin hard to do the stuff you want it to.

What's the deal with lampshades, I mean it's a lamp, why would you want a shade? :smile:

sturm

Splendid
the cpu temp will always be higher then the mobo temp. ur cpu puts out a lot more heat then anything on the mobo. now if ur using a liquid cooled system that does cpu, north bridge, graphics card the temp maybe a little closer and alot cooler.
by the way do u have anyother case fans running?

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Well, if I am not wrong, the mobo temp is read by a termal probe located on the mobo. Am I wrong?

So, for this reason I have done the test with the case open, so air flow is not limited by case fans or similar and I should be measuring the "efectiveness" of the HSF, isn't it?

Anyway, if this can help, the mobo has a HSF on chipset as well as the graphic card has one in the GPU. And the CPU is cooled by a Titan D5TB (base 60*60, top 80*80, 3250 rpm fan 80x80). Generic termal compound is used.

Maybe I am in the right range. Can you tell me your difference between mobo and CPU temsp?

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
So, for this reason I have done the test with the case open, so air flow is not limited by case fans or similar and I should be measuring the "efectiveness" of the HSF, isn't it?
A closed case with good case fan design is often better than an open case.

Ritesh

Hoolio

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
I would not worry about those temps. I bought a 800Mhz TBird in a box with the "adm approved heatsink and fan". Guess what it is a bit rubbish. My Processor at full load runs at 64C and at idle speed after running for an hour of two the idle temp is 50C. The motherboard temp varies between 30C and 40C. This is probably not helped by the case temperature due to the voodoo 3 I have in there. But with 4 case fans it has a decent air flow. Ofcourse my cd drive cools the drives in my case nicely due to the high speed and ventilation effect it has.

I am not too worried about my processor, I would not worry about yours. I may buy a copper heatsink tho.
:p

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
LOL
your temps are fine.
as your motherboard is reading 33C i can assume that your room temp is also quite warm. true?

the difference between mobo temp and cpu temp with the XP is even more pronounced as it uses the internal temp sensor. being interanl its more accurate and reads alot hotter.

in an 18C room my mobo is around 22-24C and my cpu sits at around 50C full load.
absolutely nothing to worry about.

<font color=green>Proud member of THG's</font color=green> <font color=blue>Den Of Thieves</font color=blue> :lol:

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Thanks LHG and all the others. I don't know why I take into consideration the stupid guy of the store. Now I see it's in the normal range.

BTW, my room is quite warm. I live in Barcelona, where the Olimpic Games in 1992. Now it's summer and temps above 30º are not uncommon. And no, I don't have air conditioned :-(

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ahhh.
cant ignore the laws of thermodynamics.
many people try though!

and i know how 30C room temps are... very nasty. its the main reason why i got a swiftech MCX-462.

<font color=green>Proud member of THG's</font color=green> <font color=blue>Den Of Thieves</font color=blue> :lol: