Question Root cause of corruption issues ?

Jun 27, 2022
Hello,

I'm having trouble with my laptop, just over 1 year old (and so delightfuly out of warranty), a ROG flow x13. One day I got a BSOD and then my network options just disappeared completely - in the end I had to reinstall windows and I upgraded to 11 from 10 in the process. This worked for about a day then started crashing to BSOD after 10 mins of use or so.

Then I reinstalled windows again (remade partitions), this worked for one cycle, when I installed updates and restarted the task bar wouldn't load, the up arrow in the corner would appear then the whole screen would flicker and it would try to load the taskbar again, repeating for eternity.

So I did a RAM check with windows memory diagnostic with no onscreen issues (couldn't log in to see event viewer log obviously).
A chkdsk returned no bad sectors, but had issues with read-only but managed to force it to write access with diskpart.

Then I reinstalled windows again, and made sure to do a bit of diagnostics before doing a power cycle.
Windows performance Monitor pulled up a bunch of missing driver errors - which makes sense as fresh install with no windows updates. But also pulled up a 'dirty bit volume' warning on the drive.
Western Digital Dashboard SMART test gave no errors and 100% health - though looking at what this actually tests it seems fairly useless - mostly just max temp checks etc.
Windows disk check (from Windows explorer) found issues. I queued up a repair for next restart and this fixed all issues.

I turned off the PC and came back the next day, turned it on and reran performance monitor - no issues besides drivers again.
Then things started failing again, I couldn't open file explorer to do a disk check so ran dskchk in CMD instead - this gave a whole bunch of attribute record is corrupt errors - about 20. I reran the performance monitor system check and only new error there was missing events (10%, 2605). WD dashboard smart check again says no issues.

Does this sound like a dying SSD? I'm pretty sure it's not a major hardware issue like CPU or GPU. But I'm not sure I can rule out RAM.

The fix for a bad SSD is a quick drop in replacement and I don't mind buying one if it's broken, but if there's a chance my (soldered) RAM is bad I'd rather hold off buying a new SSD as the fix for that is to get a report from a computer shop and then beg Currys to fix it under my statutory consumer rights as it's out of warranty...

Any thoughts on how I can confirm the diagnosis?

Jun 27, 2022
Just ran chkdsk /f and rebooted. Competed in about 5 seconds. Heard the windows noise but stuck on a black screen with a cursor+spinning wheel for 2 minutes. Managed to log in for about 30 seconds then got BSOD with "memory management" issue

TRENDING THREADS