root drive permmissions question

by default C, D or however drives are partitioned in windows 2000 have Everyone - full control, where windows 2003 is more restricted about that, what is minimum security requirments for servers OS to work propertly? other words how much security can be tied by applications loaded on server still avaliable to users?
You probably are going to say: that depends on application,but is there any good practice of that?

Tom P.

The current settings for Windows 2003 and XP Pro are much more restrictive than W2K
for sure and would be a good minimum setting. If you do not want users to also write
to the root drive then remove write permissions for users and everyone [or remove
everyone] including in advanced permissions which in my opinion would be the thing to
do and if you need to have a user write/delete to a folder you can give them explicit
permissions to do that. By default users can already write/delete to their profile
folders. --- Steve