Rootkit Confirmed to Cause Win XP Update BSoDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titanius

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
I knew that the article about how the latest updates from Microsoft made Windows XP have BSODs was bogus when I updated all the XP machines I support with the update and no BSODs showed up anywhere. Ah, a rootkit, comes to show how many people don't have "real" protection.

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
yup, I am still on a updated XP machine both at home and at work....never had a problem....well, not never but you know, in reference to this latest BSOD ballyhoo

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
Don't worry guys, the rootkit developers were kind enough to issue a patch to resolve this BSOD issue that their software was causing!

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
You guys HAVE to be kidding me. This isn't a windows issue? The Kernel binaries are modified without the user's knowledge or consent. Windows is so unsecure you HAVE to rely on 3rd party software to keep it from dying of aids and syphilis. Oh, and not to mention the vulnerabilities that MS Office presents. What good is your computer without any 3rd party software anyway?
I also would like to iterate the fact that their software is often overpriced and tends to revoke your control over your own system.

The equasion is pretty simple:
System works fine, update = BSOD.
Update causes this.
No update, no BSOD.

If windows was worth any money that you pay for it, it would check the integrity of the files that their patches are affecting. But Microsoft would rather say it's no fault of theirs and that you happen to be SOL.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
7 may not be immune to these things but it is better equipped to resist them.

This is just another example of the new generation of malware or spyware... Its so sneaky even using the machine presents no obvious symptoms.

adribhel

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
@bluekoala:

You will notice that every sane person with a minor understanding of how a fraud works never have these problems. Whatever Microsoft does, it won't help when idiots keep clicking everything they see on the web.

Keep Windows updated, use free anti-malware from Microsoft and don't be stupid = never get a virus.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
When you tie your web browser with direct access to the kernel (Win 7 is affected) you have a serious security flaw built right into the OS. All MS OS's are Swiss Cheese designs with built in back doors for the FEDS, they are only good for gaming and that may change too as Linux grows.

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
bluekoala u do realize that all os's from this era had these problems and this is one reason that the uac of vista and 7 are a good thing for the casual user that doesnt no a good link from a virus... thats like saying its

GenKhan2

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Not surprising. Windows problems are almost always caused by user error like being stupid enough to get a rootkit installed on your machine. Windows would be perfect if Microsoft could release patches for people.

rhelme

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
NegativeX,

The problem is your anti-rootkit software is probably not finding the issue...

replace the recommended files from the Windows XP cd and I bet your problem is solved... not all anti-rootkit software works and finds it... if this patch is causing a BSOD you are rootkitted, and your company should look for someone new to admin its machines..

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
[citation][nom]rhelme[/nom]NegativeX,The problem is your anti-rootkit software is probably not finding the issue...replace the recommended files from the Windows XP cd and I bet your problem is solved... not all anti-rootkit software works and finds it... if this patch is causing a BSOD you are rootkitted, and your company should look for someone new to admin its machines..[/citation]

Probably true this rootkit is only discoverable by a bootable solution. This means Linux or some other solution. I believe the software in question resides in the OS files used to access the hard drive so its very difficult to load something to scan the hard drive and this malware has the ability to hide itself from the scan. Hmmm at that point it could just hide 99% of itself in the "empty" portion of the hard drive with only itself knowing how to read that area. Then all you need is a small stub loader in the SATA driver.

xpslover007

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
It was probably microsoft who designed an update to react to the malware, they're desperately trying to get people to stop using xp already and pay up for the new OS

+1. Thanks GenKhan! The last sentence made my day!

Status
Not open for further replies.