[SOLVED] Rosewill Photon pwr cable options+other question

Jun 8, 2020
Hello, I bought a rosewill photon 1200w psu 5 years ago and something went wrong with my pc so i built another one. This has been sitting around for all of that time, i wanted to use it in my new pc build if possible but can't find the power cord.

Do you think this one will work?
14 gauge , 15 amp , 10 ft power cord pic

Here is the psu and socket
Rosewill Photon 1200w specs pic
Rosewill Photon 1200w socket pic

side question if possible;
since this has been sitting for 5 years and i'm not sure what caused my last pc to stop working, is there a way to test this before i hook it up to my new components to post or will it just not turn on if something is wrong with the psu? just don't want to mess up my other components.

Thank you for looking.

Solution
I don't normally recommend Thermaltake power supplies as a rule of thumb, because most of them are crappy and the ones that aren't are usually overpriced. In this case though, currently, they are hard to come by and most are sold out.

This is probably the best unit you can currently actually lay hands on at the least expense that will be suitable for use with your build and your 980ti. Should be plenty. That unit could technically run fine on a very good 550-600w unit so a 650w unit should be about perfect for giving you a bit of headroom and accommodating any spikes without also being so big that it runs poorly with lots of wasted efficiency at idle loads.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower...
Jun 8, 2020
Thank you. I will order the one you are linking. the cord even looks thicker though it's supposedly the same gauge as the one i was looking at.

As for the other question, should i just make a new post about it?

I imagine it works just fine still but maybe i should test it first, unless that is just over thinking it.

This is why I ask;

My previous pc just stopped booting one day, i thought it was the mobo so i got a replacement under warranty, which i'm about to use to build another computer with this psu and the cpu that i had in it.

Those 3 things i never tested after the fact. But the gpus and ram from that old computer are in my current computer which works just fine.

So i guess it was either the psu, cpu or mobo that messed up. Not sure if hooking everything up and putting power to it could potentially mess any components up.

If we're being honest with ourselves here, I'd call it like this.

That Photon unit was never terrific, even out of the box brand new. It had high ripple, it was noisy, didn't meet it's efficiency rating sometimes and it had issues with vampire power draw. It DID have good caps, however, it's AT LEAST five years old, per your comment that you've had it for five years plus most reviews of that unit are from 2015. That means it's right at it's warranty expiration which was 5 years.

Chances are very good you don't need anything like a 1200w unit unless you are running dual 2080 ti's and if you are, you shouldn't be using a power supply of this quality level anyhow, you should be using something much higher quality. I'd advise replacing it no matter what, normally. Right now though, power supplies are very hard to come by, especially good ones, and you are going to pay an abnormal premium for them but I guess that's better than trying to use a MAYBE faulty one and toasting your new hardware.

What are the full hardware specifications for the components you are intending to use to create this build with? CPU, motherboard, graphics card, memory, case, cooling, etc.?

Reactions: Shugodai
Jun 8, 2020
Last edited:
I don't normally recommend Thermaltake power supplies as a rule of thumb, because most of them are crappy and the ones that aren't are usually overpriced. In this case though, currently, they are hard to come by and most are sold out.

This is probably the best unit you can currently actually lay hands on at the least expense that will be suitable for use with your build and your 980ti. Should be plenty. That unit could technically run fine on a very good 550-600w unit so a 650w unit should be about perfect for giving you a bit of headroom and accommodating any spikes without also being so big that it runs poorly with lots of wasted efficiency at idle loads.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 PE 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($110.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $110.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-08 22:13 EDT-0400

There ARE somewhat better units to be had but expect to pay twenty to forty dollars more per unit, for units that two months ago could be had for around a hundred bucks, or less in some cases when on sale. If you can wait a couple of weeks we might start to see prices return to something resembling realistic levels.

Reactions: Shugodai
Solution

TRENDING THREADS