Roundup: Five Ultra-light, Sexy Netbooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
These aren't netbooks, they are ultra portables, why does the title say netbook? From the wiki:

The term netbook refers to a category of small to medium sized, light-weight, low-cost, energy-efficient, Internet-centric laptops, generally optimized for Web surfing and e-mailing

'fraid none of the reviewed LAPTOPS (however small) fall under this category.

radguy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Totally agree with michael. The term netbook is missused completely in this article. Like he said ultra portable notebooks are NOT netbooks

gxsolace

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
[citation][nom]radguy[/nom]Totally agree with michael. The term netbook is missused completely in this article. Like he said ultra portable notebooks are NOT netbooks[/citation]

Really? How come the Asus EeePC appears in both Wiki's pages for netbooks and ultraportables?
I thought you said ultra portable notebooks are "NOT" netbooks?

Strange indeed! ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-Mobile_PC -- Read section 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netbook
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subnotebook

Also notice that there is a tag on Wikipedia that says UMPCs should be merged with the Netbooks section? And that in the parent UMPC article it says:

"In personal computers, Ultra-Mobile PC (often abbreviated UMPC) is a small form factor (a standard size and shape) for tablet PCs and subnotebook/netbooks. "

Yeah? No? Hmm.

And at he top of that page it says:

"
This article or section has multiple issues. Please help improve the article or discuss these issues on the talk page.

* It needs additional references or sources for verification. Tagged since June 2008.
"

So if Wiki says a cow is a duck, you'll believe right?

G

You should also pay attention to the formal side of the text:
• ‘Sony Viao’... should be ‘Sony Vaio‘ ’?
• ‘chance to pay around’... should be ‘chance to play around’?
• ‘64GB’ and ‘240 GB’... with space or without space?

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Look, the general public already has netbook in their minds as a dirt cheap device for email and web. Calling these ultraportables netbooks it the same as calling a BMW 7 series a Chevy Aveo!

I could care less what all the various articles on the net say, I do believe the wiki is correct, but it's all based on consumer conception. This article goes against that in every way.

G

I totally agree with michael.
None of the books mentioned are in a class where they are 'affordable for the consumer'.
As far as Asus EeePc, they have models going for 175 streetprice (EeePc 2G/4G series), and have models nearing $1000 (EeePc 1000 series).

In my eyes, any notebook above $500 can no longer be called 'affordable', since any poor guy who needs a device to connect to the internet and preferably do little more than just check his internet mail, probably will go for a laptop. Seeing laptops with 3 times the RAW power go for the same price.

Mininotebooks are more the Intel Atom based devices (which I think still cost 100 to 200 $ too much!), the small Celeron M based devices like Asus EeePc series,as well as older architectures that stay below the 500 range.

radguy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
dude gxsloace

First off I didn't reference wiki michael did. I did say I agree with him on the use of the term netbook. I have been looking at netbooks for a good while cause my current laptop weighs like 8lbs. No where I have I seen that these types of notebooks are called netbooks. If you click on pc/laptops on newegg and click on netbooks none of these devices pop up for a reason they don't fit into the current definition on a netbook.

I did say ultra portable notebooks aren't netbooks.
You said Wiki says ultra mobile pcs should be merged with netbooks. I don't disagree with that. I didn't use the term ultra mobile pc. But I don't consider these items to be ultra mobile pcs either.

I should also state that this is just my opinion of what current terminology of these different devices should be called, but do you really think that particular computers should be called netbooks?

Also I take everything wiki says with a grain of salt just to let you know.

G

A netbook is designed differently than a traditional notebook. A netbook is supposed to primarily serve pages from a network or the internet. Netbooks do not do most of the processing they are client machines not notebook/desktop replacements. Thus, less processing power is required leading to a less expensive machine. All of the machines in the article are meant to do their own processing, and therefore are not netbooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.