Roundup: Nine GeForce GTX 460 1 GB Boards Benchmarked

Status
Not open for further replies.

beans4you

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
just installed two gigabyte 460 cards in my brothers new setup, they are pretty nice! can't hear them even with the 2 fans on each and they run around 25/29 C idle, this is as far as I've gotten with tests :p

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]thestealthyone[/nom]I really am a fan of ASUS' DirectCu/TOP cards.I can't decide between the 460 and 5850 versions[/citation]
Thats a contemplative choice? Considering its not the 5830, the clear choice is the 5850.

Wow. Jetway's 33 % overclock is nSane... especially on what seems to be nVidia's reference cooler.

I wonder how many cards can reach that 900 MHz with acceptable noise and voltage levels.

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
This review is trying to tell us what? Higher overclocked cards give better performance? Duh?

It would have been better to see each card overclocked to it's most stable overclock first, then test the cards with all the benchmarks.

I read CPU magazine's article comparing the GTX 460's, and same conclusion. Palit is the fastest, but MSI's is the quietest and coolest.

I've been looking into getting a pair for SLI. Those that don't have extra space between their PCI Express 2.0 slots should go for the EVGA Superclocked because of the external exhaust. Those that do have space like me and prefer low noise would be better off the MSI's. Performance-wise, they're all great overclockers (every card in this review can overclock higher than Palit's factory overclock). Honestly, you really can't go wrong with any of these cards.

vixiv

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
[citation][nom]El_Capitan[/nom]Honestly, you really can't go wrong with any of these cards.[/citation]

Basically.

void

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
I have one gigabyte card and very happy with it. Almost complete silent at idle. and not much noise at 100% fan speed. 50% fan speed is enough to keep it around 60c in games

amgsoft

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
If you are going to use the cards in PC in your home, the less noisy and the coolest is often the best choice.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
MSI has become famous for its Afterburner software, but the core voltage adjustment doesn’t work with this particular card

I'm fairly sure that one does support overvoltage but you have to check "unlock voltage control" and "unlock voltage monitoring" then restart the program, only reason i note this is that only a few 460's support any kind of voltage control, not that it needs it for an impressive overclock.

It's in the change log afterall
Afterburner 1.6.1 (2010-07-07)
Added NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 series and MSI N460GTX Cyclone series graphics cards support (including voltag control!)
http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm
also lol voltage is typoed lol

supposedly msi has a 460 fully custom in the works that will support even memory voltage tweaking
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=6c27407b258f5c35bbf16f63d6405c79&t=326936

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
I'd still go for the MSI, since I've read that that cooler is the most silent of them all. And it's temps' are the best of all, so more OC'ing potential. Too bad you didn't include "sound" tests, I'd like to see how loud/silent other coolers get under load.

How safe is it to get the cheapest out of the lot.? Very safe i guess.. How much value is it to get the costliest.? Pretty good i guess.. So the consumer is basically safe with any choice made.. That's always a good thing.. This just may be one of those cases where one can pick a card more based on its aesthetics.. Nice huh..

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]anthonys17[/nom]MSI/Asus, the hell. .it's still a 460! nice article[/citation]Yes, MSI and Asus are about equal. MSI starts out cooler but has less maximum-speed cooling, Asus starts out warmer but the fan has more room to speed up. They're about the same noise level until you speed things up, in which case MSI tops out before Asus.

Good article, I like the speculation of useful warranty. To me that is 2 years minimum since I try to upgrade every other generation. I am going to upgrade between 12 to 24 months from date of purchase.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I read some Newegg reviews on the EVGA card and most said it was cheaply built and noisy as **** because of the turbine exhaust design. Is this true ?

americanherosandwich

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
I heard the same thing. If you look at the pictures on some of these cards, you can see the MSI having the biggest fan and heatsink. Gigabyte has two fans, and the other cards just seem to have the stock fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.