[SOLVED] Router advice for second segment

amadis

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Hey Folks,

I'm looking to add a router to my home network to help improve wifi stability and security. Was hoping to get opinions on the two routers I've researched and perhaps other router options.

D-Link WiFi Router, AC2600 MU-MIMO WiFi Router
TP-Link AC2600 Smart Wifi Router

I'm using DSL 80mbps service with a C1900A Modem/Router. The new router would plug into the modem to create a second segment. Currently we have one device that is hardwired to the modem, the remaining 10-13 devices are all connecting wirelessly. These device consist of a two laptops, desktop, three phones, several tablets/ipads, firestick and a few others i'm sure i'm missing.

We are running into multiple devices disconnecting from the wifi when several of us are streaming and/or doing online gaming. The Wifi doesn't go out, some devices remain connected to the wifi and are able to continue streaming/game without interuptions. In most cases this resolves itself after 5-10 minutes or by rebooting the modem.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the topic. Let me know if there is any additional information that may be a factor.

-Curtis

Solution
Really approciate your replies on the topic. Gives me some topics to research when adding a second segment.
In your opinion are the AC2600 MI-MUMO routers a good device to look at for this change?
If this is really just to improve WIFI, then I would recommend using a true access point rather than a router. Most people don't want the IP segregation that a second router adds. You can run many routers in "AP mode" which eliminates that problem. But a purpose built AP can be much smaller and less of an eye-sore.
I use Ubiquiti, but TP-Link does have dedicated APs. The better ones are listed as "business" devices.

kanewolf

Titan
Hey Folks,

I'm looking to add a router to my home network to help improve wifi stability and security. Was hoping to get opinions on the two routers I've researched and perhaps other router options.

D-Link WiFi Router, AC2600 MU-MIMO WiFi Router
TP-Link AC2600 Smart Wifi Router

I'm using DSL 80mbps service with a C1900A Modem/Router. The new router would plug into the modem to create a second segment. Currently we have one device that is hardwired to the modem, the remaining 10-13 devices are all connecting wirelessly. These device consist of a two laptops, desktop, three phones, several tablets/ipads, firestick and a few others i'm sure i'm missing.

We are running into multiple devices disconnecting from the wifi when several of us are streaming and/or doing online gaming. The Wifi doesn't go out, some devices remain connected to the wifi and are able to continue streaming/game without interuptions. In most cases this resolves itself after 5-10 minutes or by rebooting the modem.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the topic. Let me know if there is any additional information that may be a factor.

-Curtis
Do you plan on keeping the two WIFI signals as separate SSIDs to help balance the load?
You really need to work toward having everything that is stationary be a wired connection.

amadis

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Yes, I plan on having two SSIDs to help balance the load.

Working towards having devices wired connections is the long term goal, but would be several years out. Need to replace/re-wire the house for that to happen.

kanewolf

Titan
Yes, I plan on having two SSIDs to help balance the load.

Working towards having devices wired connections is the long term goal, but would be several years out. Need to replace/re-wire the house for that to happen.
If you are planning on unique SSIDs, then the big thing is you don't want the two units sitting on top of each other. I would have 6 - 10 ft. Manually choose your channels. 1, 6, 11 on 2.4Ghz and avoid DFS channels on 5Ghz. You want all radios to be unique. So if the C1900 is on chan 1, 36 then you want the other router on 6 or 11 and 44 or something. Also keep your channel width down. You only have 80Mbit WAN so there is no benefit in 80Mhz channel width on 5Ghz. Keep it to 40Mhz on 5Ghz and 20Mhz on 2.4Ghz.

amadis

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
If you are planning on unique SSIDs, then the big thing is you don't want the two units sitting on top of each other. I would have 6 - 10 ft. Manually choose your channels. 1, 6, 11 on 2.4Ghz and avoid DFS channels on 5Ghz. You want all radios to be unique. So if the C1900 is on chan 1, 36 then you want the other router on 6 or 11 and 44 or something. Also keep your channel width down. You only have 80Mbit WAN so there is no benefit in 80Mhz channel width on 5Ghz. Keep it to 40Mhz on 5Ghz and 20Mhz on 2.4Ghz.

Really approciate your replies on the topic. Gives me some topics to research when adding a second segment.
In your opinion are the AC2600 MI-MUMO routers a good device to look at for this change?

kanewolf

Titan
If this is really just to improve WIFI, then I would recommend using a true access point rather than a router. Most people don't want the IP segregation that a second router adds. You can run many routers in "AP mode" which eliminates that problem. But a purpose built AP can be much smaller and less of an eye-sore.
I use Ubiquiti, but TP-Link does have dedicated APs. The better ones are listed as "business" devices.

Solution