router and ethernet

zayed builder

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
hey guys ihave the problem of poor range so i have 1 router g-floor and one in 1st floor but when i hook up my computer to the third ethernet the speed goes down alot even if not using it and sometimes my dad cant access the internet even

Solution
You are not going "Lan" to "Wan" are you? *Aka Double NATing. So you have two routers hooked up and does the lan cable from the first router go into the wan port of your 2nd router? If so move it to a lan port. Also make sure DHCP is turned off on your 2nd router.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
You are not going "Lan" to "Wan" are you? *Aka Double NATing. So you have two routers hooked up and does the lan cable from the first router go into the wan port of your 2nd router? If so move it to a lan port. Also make sure DHCP is turned off on your 2nd router.

Solution
2nd router should have all services disabled, firewall, DHCP,UNPN etc etc, effectively turning it in to a wifi AP/switch.
Set it to have a statis IP address in the same range as the 1st router.
Connect both routers via LAN ports, do not use WAN on the second router, even if it can be turned in to a LAN port, as sometimes they use a bridge chip.
You can keep the same SSID, just ensure each router is using different channels for seamless roaming.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

The firewall does not have to be turned off if there is one due to it being tired to ingress traffic from the WAN port. otherwise spot on.

TRENDING THREADS