Question Router and Internet Issue

Feb 16, 2019
Hi guys! So i recently got a new router from one of the big operators here in Portugal (NOS) and it's called power router (Wi-Fi 4.0) dual band. My laptop is called Asustek computer inc. x541UV with Realtek RTL8723BE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC and i'm pretty sure it's not compatible with dual band.
However, since i don't know much about this stuff, i would be very grateful if you guys can tell what can i do so my internet speed gets better, should i buy a new network card (can i do this? if so, wich one?) or an adaptor (wich one?)?

All the best to you guys, thanks!

So it appears that is a laptop which makes it much harder. The simple way is to buy a external USB wifi card. You might be able to replace the internal wifi card. Since the vast majority use a standard connection you can in "most" cases just put in a more advanced card. Your first step is to see if you can find a youtube video that shows how to disassemble the machine and decide if you are willing to do that.

So I had this almost ready to post and kanewolf found the video for you.

Reactions: Silvaz
Feb 16, 2019
And what card should i buy? Since i don't have many usb inputs, i'm willing to change the WIFI card but i would also be grateful if you guys could tell me a nice external USB wifi card.

I really wish I knew a good USB device. You likely want 802.11ac just because 802.11n is old and 802.11ac devices are always dual band. You do not need anything fancy since you are using a ISP router which likely is not fancy. Physical size matters avoid the very tiny units.

The internal card is going to be somewhat limited. Your machine likely only has 1 antenna connection so you can not take advantage of cards that use mulitple antenna. The card you have also has bluetooth on it so you need a new card that also has bluetooth.

What you want to search for is mini-pci 802.11ac bluetooth . The cards are also called half height but mini-pci is more common. You will likely end up with a intel based card since those are much more common. Be sure to compare the photo of the device with the one that is in your machine to make sure they really are the same size.

Reactions: Silvaz