Router and pc problems - possibly virus

INorthFace

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Sorry if this isn't really the right place to post this, seemed the closest.

So anyway, I was out during the day and when I came home my router wasn't working. Upon further inspection I found that it is not sending wireless signals at all. We have a older xp computer that's hooked up to the router that seems impossibly slow. I don't really take regular care of it since no one really uses it much, and the good computer is my bedroom (wireless Internet to it). The internet works very slow on the computer but no where else wirelessly ( and the computer is unusually slow). I went to check the running services and there wasn't anything I thought was unordinary or using high memory. But, I decided to boot it into safe mode and run malware bytes as a precaution ( I also have norton 360 2011). No safe boot menu ever shows up, but pressing f8 works. Thing is that it brings me into a longer safe boot menu than I've ever seen ( I will post what it says if requested, when I wake up tomorrow). But it bring me to booting in safe mode, and shows the services loading on screen, taking a lot longer than usual. It then tells me I can cancel a service that I have never seen before (again, will post service in morning). When it goes to the accounts screen, I choose the the account and it automatically reboots the system.

I am completely stumped, apparently no one had used it for the last couple of days. I don't know if the router is a separate issue ( is it possible to get a virus on the router?) any help and ideas are greatly appreciated, and again sorry if this isn't the right forum ( assuming a virus but haven't found anything indicating it)

Extra info: the os is 2005 windows xp media center

- I do not have repair discs for it...

- I am generally uneducated when it comes to repairing the os

- at the moment, I have no wireless Internet but I do have 3G on my phone ( to post here)

Thank you all for all help and ideas

I am somewhat good with computers, but am a beginner when it comes to cmd, bios, and more difficult things.

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

The router first to secure any networking that's going on while you fix the XP system. Cable to it and access its settings pages through Internet Explorer and change the access login and password to something unique rather than the generic the maker puts in or whatever it may have been altered to. Also change the SSID (Network name) and the wireless security key and keep a note of all the new information you created.

As for the system, you're seeing on Function 8, the Advanced Boot Menu which includes some extras the ordinary Safe Mode menu doesn't have but sadly, none that can help you. You need to get that menu up again, select Safe Mode with Networking and this time, log in as Administrator - the system account which is unlikely to have been compromised as yours has.

Bring up MalwareBytes (MBAM) and click to update it then run the Full Scan and remove anything it finds. Restart into Normal Mode and see if your account now works. If it doesn't, post back from Safe Mode with a copy of the MBAM log.

INorthFace

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
So I never did the router yet, but was going to do it in safe mode. It is not the generic password for the router though.

Still unable to boot into safe mode, even onto administrator account. Auto restart as soon as it starts loading. I do notice it says I can cancel sptd.exe from loading. (just tried canceling it, still reboots)

Other option I saw is disabling auto restart on system failure on the safe mode menu, do not know If this a good idea though

Do not know what to do now, I don't know if I should just run malware bytes on normal boot. ( I did manage to update it yesterday though)

I will try booting it to safe mode through cmd, don't have high hopes for that...

INorthFace

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Computer booted normally, took a long time for any icons to show. Does not seem as slow, pretty smooth actually.

Checked norton security history, only thing that seems off is unauthorized access blocked (duplicate object). Actor: system32/services.exe, Target: norton360/engine/5.1.0.29/ccsvchst.exe. Don't know that means anything, you tell me.

I am getting an error on bootup that I sometimes get over the years but it doesn't affect performance.

Error: wzcsldr2.exe - entry point not found

The procedre entry point apsgetready could not be located in the dynamic link library wlanapi.dll

Thanks again for all your help!

Edit 2: there is also 9 svchst.exe running. in system, local services, and network services

Edit: just noticed in task manager that 2 ccsvchst.exe are running. One under system, the other under user. Is that a problem?

Yes it is a problem because it means you have Norton. :D Microsoft Security Essentials is free, less resource hungry and generally better

As to the other entries, go Start then Run and type msconfig into the Open box then hit Enter. Click the StartUp tab and untick everything except your firewall and anti-virus. Click Apply and OK your way out, restart as suggested and on the restart, tick "Don't show this message again". If you get more failures, "Disable automatic restart" is worth a try but I didn't advise it because all it does is make a Stop Error Message on a blue screen stand still to be read - you were getting past that stage to login and failing at that point.

INorthFace

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
First off: I really appreciate the help saga lout

Secondly: router works again, turns out it had completely rebooted and I had to Create a new network :) (don't know why it did it though, still a little weary for that)

Thirdly: when I go to the startup tab, it doesn't show my antivirus or firewall (but it does start on startup). Other items I don't know if I should unclick, such as my mouse and keyboard (type32 and point32 .exe), and some other system 32 files. Like, am I disabling any core files?

Sorry, I just get a little nervous when dealing with disabling files some times (long story)