[SOLVED] Router and speeds

jnxzi94

Commendable
Jul 13, 2021
Router is ZyXEL VMG3927.

I was wondering does limiting wireless bandwidth (upstream and downstream) increase the speed and stability of a device that is connected via ethernet cable.

I want to maximize the speed for my PC.
WLAN is not so important.

I play online on PC so any tips that can improve the network speed for that device is greatly appreciated.

And should I always enable QoS or just disable it, because there is only a TV connected via Wi-Fi. There is no option to set specific bandwidths per devices. I can only set rules for WAN but I'm on VDSL2.

UPnP is enabled and some port forwarding has been done manually to some games.

Firewall is allowing traffic as much as it can.

But I noticed that my upload speed is only like 5 mbps.

Solution
Your total bandwidth is shared by all you devices. It really doesn't make any difference how they are connected.

QoS only makes a difference if you exceed the bandwidth you purchase from your ISP. All QoS does it decide which traffic goes first but if there is no traffic being queued all traffic is being send immediately.

Even if you had a bottleneck it does not sound like your router has good enough features to do anything about it. The QoS on many routers is just something they print on the box it is so basic it is a waste of time to even consider using it.

In general a TV will not use much bandwidth so you likely do not have a problem to begin with. Even the best QoS is only a bandaid when the real problem is only fixed...
Your total bandwidth is shared by all you devices. It really doesn't make any difference how they are connected.

QoS only makes a difference if you exceed the bandwidth you purchase from your ISP. All QoS does it decide which traffic goes first but if there is no traffic being queued all traffic is being send immediately.

Even if you had a bottleneck it does not sound like your router has good enough features to do anything about it. The QoS on many routers is just something they print on the box it is so basic it is a waste of time to even consider using it.

In general a TV will not use much bandwidth so you likely do not have a problem to begin with. Even the best QoS is only a bandaid when the real problem is only fixed by buying more bandwidth from the ISP.

You have to be careful about setting too much stuff in your router. It all takes CPU capacity to process and a router has a tiny cpu. In your case it likely does not matter a lot because you are on a slower DSL line but on very high speed connections setting features you do not need can actually make your connection slower because the router cpu can not keep up.

In general there is nothing you can set in your router that will improve the network speeds. Most issues are purely related to the distance you are from the game servers and the path your data takes though the internet. You can do nothing about either of those other than maybe get a different ISP.

Reactions: jnxzi94
Solution

jnxzi94

Commendable
Jul 13, 2021

In general a TV will not use much bandwidth so you likely do not have a problem to begin with. Even the best QoS is only a bandaid when the real problem is only fixed by buying more bandwidth from the ISP.

You have to be careful about setting too much stuff in your router. It all takes CPU capacity to process and a router has a tiny cpu. In your case it likely does not matter a lot because you are on a slower DSL line but on very high speed connections setting features you do not need can actually make your connection slower because the router cpu can not keep up.

In general there is nothing you can set in your router that will improve the network speeds. Most issues are purely related to the distance you are from the game servers and the path your data takes though the internet. You can do nothing about either of those other than maybe get a different ISP.

Thank you for your response.

Quality stuff there, so basically we can say that I shouldn't do anything except maybe some basic port forwarding etc.

I'm not quite sure does my ISP support IPv6 but I did enable the Dual Stack option anyways.
It was set to 'IPv4 only' by default.

I was just really wondering is there some settings that could destroy the bandwidth for some devices or throttle the overall performance.

You should only set options you have a actual need for. You only need port forwarding when you are hosting a server of some kind. Something like a minecraft server.

There is a massive amount of mis information on many gaming sites about port forwarding. Most games do not need you to port forward anything. Port forwarding should be avoided because it creates a hole for a hacker to attack your machine.

Unless you have some good reason to use IPv6 I would actually disable it even if the ISP supports it. It has all kinds of strange performance issues for many people.

Key here is do not try to fix a problem you do not actually have. Setting stuff on your router you do not fully understand can actually cause more issues.

jnxzi94

Commendable
Jul 13, 2021
You should only set options you have a actual need for. You only need port forwarding when you are hosting a server of some kind. Something like a minecraft server.

There is a massive amount of mis information on many gaming sites about port forwarding. Most games do not need you to port forward anything. Port forwarding should be avoided because it creates a hole for a hacker to attack your machine.

Unless you have some good reason to use IPv6 I would actually disable it even if the ISP supports it. It has all kinds of strange performance issues for many people.

Key here is do not try to fix a problem you do not actually have. Setting stuff on your router you do not fully understand can actually cause more issues.

I need port forwarding to play Call of Duty games online. These games are weird when it comes to NAT. The UPnP feature opens at least one port for the game, but I want to make sure every "needed" port is open for the game. I don't port forward random or unnecessary ports. I simply prefer latency and speed over security in most cases.

Alright, thanks. I will just leave everything on default.