router as AP???

I noticed one of the local stores is selling a Belkin router (4 e-net plus
802.11b wireless) for around $20. Seems like a good buy. Although I don't
currently have a DSL connection, I suppose eventually I will. In the
meantime, I would like to use it to connect to my laptop and my Ipaq2215,
both of which have 802.11b cards. My tower has an e-net port on it which I
don't use, so connecting to the router shouldn't be a problem physically. Am
I correct in thinking that this will do what I have in mind, both now and in
the future? I'm relatively new to wireless, although I have been able to get
my Ipaq on a few local hotspots....

m9877c at yahoo dot com

"Perry Noid" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
> I noticed one of the local stores is selling a Belkin router (4 e-net plus
> 802.11b wireless) for around $20. Seems like a good buy. Although I don't
> currently have a DSL connection, I suppose eventually I will. In the
> meantime, I would like to use it to connect to my laptop and my Ipaq2215,
> both of which have 802.11b cards. My tower has an e-net port on it which I
> don't use, so connecting to the router shouldn't be a problem physically.
Am
> I correct in thinking that this will do what I have in mind, both now and
in
> the future?

i did this with a Netgear MR814v2 - and it works (i followed an app note
from the netgear site).

But - without the router connected up on the WAN, wireless devices seem to
drop out more - cascading it form another router has solved that, but stops
file sharing to my LAN connected PCs. Since i dont need that it is "good
enough", but an AP (even for a bit more money) may be a better bet.

I also cant get it to find a time source, or send logs without a WAN
connection - not a big deal but irritating

--
Regards

I got a Belkin wireless router/gateway at Thanksgiving for $20 with sale and
rebate - it has a "AP Only" mode - check Belkin's web site for the
documentation of the model for sale at the store near you. Despite what the
documentation says on mine I can't use the WAN port when in "AP Only" mode -
obviously a documentation error - works fine with my LAN connection in one
of the 4 LAN switch ports.

Don Woodward