Router capping at 10mbps!

Nov 2, 2018
I've been sifting through similar threads but nothing really helped since my setup is a liile different.

SERVICE:
Spectrum 100MBPS

SETUP:
The cable modem is connected to a wireless router that's right next to it. That router is routing to ANOTHER wireless router (WNR2000v5) for more coverage.

PROBLEM:
Whenever I connect my computer to the second router (WNR2000v5) my speed gets capped at 10mbps, wired or wireless.

SCENARIOS:
I've tried connecting directly to the first router that's next to the cable modem with my phone through wifi and my speeds reached upwards of 90mbps on speedtest.net

The thing is, whenever I connect my computer wirelessly with an adapter I get latency issues and at one point 30mbps at best.

I haven't tried connecting my phone and testing the rate on the second router.

I've also tried updating the firmware of the second router but my login credentials stop working so I don't know what's going on.

Solution
Sounds like the Ethernet cable your are using between router 1 and router 2 (WNR2000v5) is the issue. Consumer Ethernet generally comes in 3 speeds; 10 Mbps, 100 Mbps, and 1000 (1 Gbit) Mbps. The adapters will negotiated the highest rate possible, taking into account limitations of each adapter and the cable. The only exception is if you have set the connection to a lower speed. A low quality or damaged cable will limit the speed of the connection.

As far as logging into your router ... you may need to do a factory reset if you can't figure out the required credentials.
Sounds like the Ethernet cable your are using between router 1 and router 2 (WNR2000v5) is the issue. Consumer Ethernet generally comes in 3 speeds; 10 Mbps, 100 Mbps, and 1000 (1 Gbit) Mbps. The adapters will negotiated the highest rate possible, taking into account limitations of each adapter and the cable. The only exception is if you have set the connection to a lower speed. A low quality or damaged cable will limit the speed of the connection.

As far as logging into your router ... you may need to do a factory reset if you can't figure out the required credentials.

Solution
Nov 2, 2018

So I installed the new Cat5e cable and I seem to be getting around 40mbps (400% increase) on my computer with my WAN adapter. It's still nowhere close to what it should be (100mbps) so is there any settings I can adjust to possibly increase my speed?

You got 40 Mbps via Ethernet to the 2nd router or via WiFi?

Since you get expected speeds when connected to the first router, then it is unlikely an issue with your computer or the 1st router. Since you can't log into the 2nd router is hard to say if something needs to be changed. Is QoS turned on, packet filtering, etc ??

Ideally, I would setup the 2nd router as just a switch/access point. To accomplish this, you would connect the Ethernet cable coming from the 1st router to a LAN port of the 2nd router (not the WAN port) and turn off DHCP. In this setup, your 1st router does all the DHCP, NAT, firewall, DNS caching, security, etc. When you use both routers as routers you duplicate all this work and it can introduce some latency (ok, not much).

Nov 2, 2018

Giving a second test yielded 65mbps (getting closer) but the following test dropped back down to 30mbps both on WIFI. But to be fair, i think the bandwidth was being stressed on other devices. I don't think my second router has QoS capabilities and it doesn't have a WAN port, just an Ethernet jack how would I disable DHCP though?

WiFi is not the best test. So many things can go wrong with WiFi (distance, obstruction, interference).

Per the owner manual, the WNR2000v5 does have QoS. Also, it should have 5 Ethernet ports on the back. 1 yellow (the WAN port), and 4 black (LAN ports). http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNR2000V5/WNR2000v5_UM_20Nov2014.pdf ... am I looking at the wrong router? Page 58 of the user manual has information on turning on/off the DHCP server.

Nov 2, 2018

It seems as if the only port that's being used is the WAN and the DHCP settings have already been set automatically by the setup wizard. The only thing left is to mess with QoS but as I was getting 9MBPS (9000kbps) or close to 90Mbps, I really don't want to mess with anything anymore. The wire seemed to increase my speeds dramatically and I thank you for your help good sir!