router + card combo

Hi,

I've got ten pc's running XP to network soon--I used linksys WRT54G and
linksys cards to network a similar network previousliy and found the setup
worked fine for the Windows 2000 pc's but the XP boxes were not as reliable
maintaining a connection to the WAP. I think the problem may have been that
I updated the firmware on the router--but Linksys has never provided a
reasonable answer to the difference in performance on the two OS's.

Does anyone have recommendations for specific router/card make/model? Has
Linksys gotten their act together or is D-link or someone else more reliable
for a small network environment like this?

Many Thanks,

Wanda

"news.rr.com" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in

> Hi,
>
> I've got ten pc's running XP to network soon--I used linksys WRT54G
> and linksys cards to network a similar network previousliy and found
> the setup worked fine for the Windows 2000 pc's but the XP boxes were
> not as reliable maintaining a connection to the WAP. I think the
> problem may have been that I updated the firmware on the router--but
> Linksys has never provided a reasonable answer to the difference in
> performance on the two OS's.

I used the same Linksys WPC11 card on Win 2K and the when I upgraded to XP
Pro using the same card it worked well too. But that was after I did two
things to make it stable on XP.

> Does anyone have recommendations for specific router/card make/model?
> Has Linksys gotten their act together or is D-link or someone else
> more reliable for a small network environment like this?

I think you have some features on XP that may need to be disabled like
Wireless Zero Configuration Service on XP. You can also download, install,
and configure the card's driver using Device Manager for the install and
config and not use the card's utility to do anything, which seems to make
the wireless connection on XP solid.

Duane :)

> Thanks...found it.
>
> Wanda

I'll assume you found the Linksys driver.

Duane :)

"news.rr.com" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in news:7R5xd.27907
$Yh2.12442744@twister.nyc.rr.com:

> yes it was....how'd you know?
>
>:)

It was just a wild guess. ;-) I do hope things work out for you and your
wireless troubles go away.

Duane :)