Router causing internet to be slower on modem?

Affront

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015
I share wifi from a comcast modem with 4 other roommates. Recently, two of the roommates have purchased an Asus router and connected it to our wifi. Since they've done this, everyone else who uses the regular wi-fi from the comcast modem has a very slow connection and it often disconnects. The roommates who use the router constantly game, which is why I believe they bought the router, but did not let us know they made this purchase nor gave us the password for the router, which is why the rest of us don't use it.

My questions are:

- Is it normal for routers to slow the speed of modems?
- Is the router the direct cause of the slower wi-fi for everyone else?

(Sorry if anything I said is confusing, I'm not tech savvy with these kinds of things)

Pooneil

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
Its unclear why online gaming, in and of itself, would cause a problem for you. It is typically a low bandwidth activity that is very sensitive to the exact kind of problems you are experiencing. It may be the you are experiencing interference from a poor setup of the new equipment or maybe someone is downloading torrents.

Since it is a shared resource and all are paying for it. You need to have a house discussion about the problem. Your more tech savvy roommates may be unaware of the problem. Or they may not know how to fix it and lazily assume it is OK because no one has specifically asked them to stop.