[SOLVED] router changes

manolis kokotsakis

Honorable
Mar 9, 2019
is there any change that i can do to my router , to inscrease browsing response ? I dont download or upload big files. I need only to be snappy and fast as possible.

Solution
Make sure you put the DNS in the nic settings on your PC. Although it works putting it in the router the default for most routers is to use the router as a DNS cache/proxy. This function has issues on some device and serves very little purpose.
Just use 8.8.8.8 for your DNS. Google tends to have more physical DNS servers than anyone else (they all share 8.8.8.8). In general unless you have a huge latency to a dns server it will not make a noticeable difference.

Many times it is all the advertising crap causing slow response. Maybe try a adblocker.
Make sure you put the DNS in the nic settings on your PC. Although it works putting it in the router the default for most routers is to use the router as a DNS cache/proxy. This function has issues on some device and serves very little purpose.
Just use 8.8.8.8 for your DNS. Google tends to have more physical DNS servers than anyone else (they all share 8.8.8.8). In general unless you have a huge latency to a dns server it will not make a noticeable difference.

Many times it is all the advertising crap causing slow response. Maybe try a adblocker.

Reactions: manolis kokotsakis
Solution

manolis kokotsakis

Honorable
Mar 9, 2019
Tell me again please, what you mean about the router and dns cache/proxy ? I put dns on my pc on the internet and network settings . 8.8.8.8 is very low always in a nny benchmark i run . 4.2.2.4 - 4.2.2.6 are the fastest. or 4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.5.
I use ublock who is more light and need less ram. Is very good.

You have put the dns in the best place. The router proxy in theory will allow your router to respond with cached data and not ask the actual server. I suspect it would work better if was a actual server rather than some puny router cpu. It is like many router features they just throw on because they can

4.2.2.x is level3 technically not a public server. Years ago it was used by other ISP but nothing really prevented end users.

Google has a much larger network so tends to be better for most people. If you feel it work better for you then you can use it. Be aware even before level3 got purchased by centurylink these servers were not a priority so they are not likely to upgrade or expand them.

Reactions: manolis kokotsakis