Router constantly drops Wi-fi - need help to fix or advice on a new one!

snavemada5

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I currently have a NetGear WRN2000v3 that is less than a year old. It is connected to a Motorola SurfBoard 6121 cable modem and I use all 4 of the router's wired connections (two PCs that are constantly used, two PS3s with moderate use) as well as 4+ wireless connections at any given time (two Android devices, two Nintendo 3DSs). My wired connection runs around 36 Mbps down, 6 Mbps up.
I live in an apartment complex and there are a ton of other routers in my area crowded across all channels (I run Ch. 11 after using the wifi analyzer android app). Over the past two months or so, I have experienced a lot of random drops in wi-fi. The router says wireless is on, but none of my devices get a signal. Other times the router would just reboot itself randomly - this is much rare, but it does happen. Something is obviously not right with it. I should add, the router and modem are located in a middle bedroom, while the wireless devices are usually used at either end of the apartment, so there is a natural drop in signal strength, but it should not be that significant. Changing the location is not really a feasible option.
I either need to stop these drops or get a new router and send this one in to NetGear for servicing and use it as a backup. If I do get a new one, what would be best for my usage while staying $100 or less? I appreciate any advice/assistance!

X79

Honorable
In your routers web-interface there might be an option for setting your channel

selection to automatic.This will let the router automatically switch to the least crowded

channel, which might just help somewhat.

One thing you should perhaps consider, is getting a repeater or two.

A repeater does what the name implies and repeats the wireless signal so that it covers a wider area.

Naturally this only works if the Wi-Fi actually does work. Android phones can be used as repeaters too.

Just to check the obvious boxes: Make sure you have Wi-Fi security enabled. WPA2 encryption at the very least.

Someone might just be abusing your connection or have access to your router remotely.

Another thing to do would be visit Netgears support page at: http://support.netgear.com/for_home/

snavemada5

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

The router was originally on Auto channel. When the drops started I switched to 1, then 11. 11 seems to drop less frequently, but it still drops daily.
I am using WPA2 encryption and have checked the "connected devices" and logs to ensure that nothing is getting in that shouldn't.
I doubt the repeaters would help, as once the connection "drops" it does not return until I restart the router or force a wireless connection reset either by toggling the router's wireless on/off button, or by clicking "apply" on the browser UI - this works even if no settings are actually changed.
Searching Netgear's site is useless. Google searches on the topic reveal it is a fairly widespread problem with no actual solution. The "bandaid fixes" seem to be to either downgrade the firmware, something I have not done, or try using it only in G / 54Mbps mode. I began this test last night... but even if it does keep the connection alive, it is not a real solution.