Question Router crashes when connecting POE ports on switch

Jul 23, 2019
I have inherited a network system with a new house and am struggling to get it to all connect with my router. I have a Plusnet Home One router connected to the Netgear FS726TP 24 port smart switch. With cables plugged into the non-POE ports it works just fine, but as soon as I connect anything to the POE ports the router crashes. This also crashes the router if it's disconnected from the switch and I've run the power cable out to a different socket. I know very little about networks so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ralston18

Titan
This: "but as soon as I connect anything to the POE ports the router crashes".

The common factor to "anything" is the ground (aka earth) path.

So if the crashes occur, as I understand your post, when devices are connected to the switch via POE ports even when the switch is not connected to the router then that is all the more indication of some electrical problem.

My thought is some short within the switches' POE circuitry.

May take a multi-meter and some methodical testing to pinpoint the source.

Jul 23, 2019
Thanks for your thoughts.

I was thinking either power or magnetic interference is the only way. Should I have a shielded ADSL cable?

I may be tempted to get a new switch, not least because the fan is very loud, and I don't know if the energy consumption is excessive for a home network. But for now I just really want to get what I've got working before trying to upgrade anything. If it's definitely the switch then is it worth trying to repair? I'm I total novice at this btw.

The POE ports are needed to power a couple of WiFi boosters and a CCTV camera.