[SOLVED] Router drops internet, but says it's connected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 15, 2021
So today my router decided to act up really oddly. My internet died, so I restarted my modem and router (Asus GT-AX11000), nothing. Ran Windows troubleshooter, it was complaining about not being able to detect proxy settings. Connected directly to the router, it was showing that its status was connected, but still no internet. Tried using its internal tools to do a ping to google, nothing. Tried checking for firmware updates, error connecting to Asus website.

Tried connecting directly to the modem, there was some issue with the wire or something. Replaced that, Internet worked for about an hour and then the same situation started again. Same debugging steps - nothing. Connect directly to the modem - it works. Reset it to factory settings, restored settings, sent firmware to update (I think the version was the same, but whever), internet came back for 20 minutes and now it's dead again.

So this is my issue:
  • Internet has been working fine for months, nothing changed in the last little while, but today something decided to start messing up
  • Replaced a cable that helped the problem for a bit, but the problem is back
  • Wiring directly into the modem lets me have internet, so it's some issue around the router
  • Restarting the modem, router, computer doesn't fix it, router doesn't notice any issues but there are still issues with connecting to the internet via the router
  • Intermittenly, the router will work and then die after 10-20 minutes, not sure what triggers it to work or not...

So today my router decided to act up really oddly. My internet died, so I restarted my modem and router (Asus GT-AX11000), nothing. Ran Windows troubleshooter, it was complaining about not being able to detect proxy settings. Connected directly to the router, it was showing that its status was connected, but still no internet. Tried using its internal tools to do a ping to google, nothing. Tried checking for firmware updates, error connecting to Asus website.

Tried connecting directly to the modem, there was some issue with the wire or something. Replaced that, Internet worked for about an hour and then the same situation started again. Same debugging steps - nothing. Connect directly to the modem - it works. Reset it to factory settings, restored settings, sent firmware to update (I think the version was the same, but whever), internet came back for 20 minutes and now it's dead again.

So this is my issue:
  • Internet has been working fine for months, nothing changed in the last little while, but today something decided to start messing up
  • Replaced a cable that helped the problem for a bit, but the problem is back
  • Wiring directly into the modem lets me have internet, so it's some issue around the router
  • Restarting the modem, router, computer doesn't fix it, router doesn't notice any issues but there are still issues with connecting to the internet via the router
  • Intermittenly, the router will work and then die after 10-20 minutes, not sure what triggers it to work or not...
sounds like the wireless bus is dying you may need a new router/modem. you can try roling back to a older update see if the update is a issue

Jan 15, 2021
After trying everything I could think of and things not improving, I left the issue alone for a day and everything has been working fine ever since. I guess something had some weird configuration cache or something that eventually cleared itself. So as anticlimactic as that is, I don't know what was wrong or how it fixed itself...

Status
Not open for further replies.