[SOLVED] Router for concrete/steel walls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 10, 2018
I live in a high rise apartment made of concrete and steel. While the overall apartment isn't extremely large, my router simply can't penetrate the walls very well, and the edges of the apartment all have extremely poor signal, even just 30 feet away. This same router was fine for my previous 4500 square foot wood frame home.

Is there a router that has a high penetration? The router is centrally located and the maximum range is probably just 30 feet. Obviously range isn't a issue. I have a 600 Mbit fiber connection that frankly feels more like 600 K.

Solution
There is really no magic high power router. The output power is limited by the government and most router transmit near the maximum legal limit. It takes very little to block the signal. Your microwave oven works on the same 2.4g frequency and can put out 1000 times the power. The coating on the glass lets you see in but completely blocks all that energy. A cement wall absorbs huge amounts of signal.

Even if there was a magic router it is only 1/2 the problem. Most peoples problem are with the end devices. Things like cell phones put out very low power in order to conserve battery. This would mean even if a magic signal got to you your phone could never send the signal back.

They make powerline units with AP/radio on...
There is really no magic high power router. The output power is limited by the government and most router transmit near the maximum legal limit. It takes very little to block the signal. Your microwave oven works on the same 2.4g frequency and can put out 1000 times the power. The coating on the glass lets you see in but completely blocks all that energy. A cement wall absorbs huge amounts of signal.

Even if there was a magic router it is only 1/2 the problem. Most peoples problem are with the end devices. Things like cell phones put out very low power in order to conserve battery. This would mean even if a magic signal got to you your phone could never send the signal back.

They make powerline units with AP/radio on the remote unit. It is not as good as putting a router/AP on the remote end but it is much more simple to set up

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.