Router has problems assigning IP addresses after a firmware update

Tallmios

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015
A few months back, I've updated my router's firmware (ASUS DSL-N17U) and I've been having problems ever since.

Computers connected to the network were frequently losing their dynamic IP addresses until I assigned them a static one. To overcome this, I had to use the /release and /renew commands through the command line.

Mobile devices continue having problems. Although they appear to be connected to the network, they cannot access the Internet. This is especially annoying for visiting guests who are unable to use the network unless I set the connection up manually by typing all the necessary information.

I've tried changing the DHCP settings but to no avail. I am very sceptical to update the firmware ever again.

Any insight would be much appreciated because I'm no network expert.

Solution
If you have already tried a reset (using a paper clip or other small firm straight device), I would probably do a 30/30/30 reset, like this:

With router powered on press the reset button and hold for 30 seconds. Keep holding the reset button pressed and unplug the power from the router and hold the reset button for 30 more seconds. Still holding the reset button depressed turn power on to the router again and hold for another 30 seconds.

RealBeast

Titan
If you have already tried a reset (using a paper clip or other small firm straight device), I would probably do a 30/30/30 reset, like this:

With router powered on press the reset button and hold for 30 seconds. Keep holding the reset button pressed and unplug the power from the router and hold the reset button for 30 more seconds. Still holding the reset button depressed turn power on to the router again and hold for another 30 seconds.

Solution