Question Router Help Please

Jan 18, 2024
I am having some very weird and frustrating issues with my router I’m hoping you all can help me with. About a year ago my town finally got 1 gbps fiber. Small local company about an hour away from me. It worked wonderfully when it was first installed in my home. Their modem is a Calix 803G. They offer a router too but when they saw I already had one and what it was they told me that mine was far superior to theirs. I have a Netgear Orbi 850. It has 1 Satellite with it. My issues are the following…

From time to time when I am streaming something either live stream or regular from a video streaming service the picture will go kinda fuzzy. No idea why because I put the speedtest app from ookla on my Apple TV 4K. My Apple TV is also wired, not Wi-Fi. The speed it gives me is 940/940 or better most of the time. Ping is 4.

Thant’s the wired issue I’m having.

With wireless I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max an iPad Pro 2018 mode and an iPad Pro 2016 model. My speeds seem slower on all devices, wired or wireless in the year I’ve had fiber. I just don’t know what is going on. I’ve talked to many people. They give me ideas but nothing is working.

Hoping someone here has an idea.

Thanks.

So first I will assume when you say you are testing "wired" it means you have ethernet cables running to the main netgear and not the satellite unit. Hooking to the satellite unit is actually a wifi connection.

I would leave a constant ping run to 8.8.8.8 and see if that changes.

If this happens often enough maybe hook a device directly to the ISP modem bypassing your router. You will only have that one device during this testing so hopefully you do not have to run hours to confirm it does or does not happen. You do not want to run long term like this because your device is directly on the internet without the protection of the simple NAT your router provides.

This sounds like packet loss which when very bad will cause the video to lose too many frames and get blurry. The ping command should clearly show it.

Jan 18, 2024
So first I will assume when you say you are testing "wired" it means you have ethernet cables running to the main netgear and not the satellite unit. Hooking to the satellite unit is actually a wifi connection.

I would leave a constant ping run to 8.8.8.8 and see if that changes.

If this happens often enough maybe hook a device directly to the ISP modem bypassing your router. You will only have that one device during this testing so hopefully you do not have to run hours to confirm it does or does not happen. You do not want to run long term like this because your device is directly on the internet without the protection of the simple NAT your router provides.

This sounds like packet loss which when very bad will cause the video to lose too many frames and get blurry. The ping command should clearly show it.
I’m not one bit smart with all this stuff. I didn’t really understand any of that. I’m sorry.