router infected ads.adsmate.com problem

Qxx1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2014
my router got infected by something which leads all the devices connected to it to some ads site n pop-ups
few months back my computer and phone started having this weird problem,
whatever site i visited (both from my phone or laptop) i get many pop ups and redirected to some ads.adsmate.com/xxxxxxxxxxx sites suggesting me to download stuff(on phone) or showing random ads...
it was very frustrating as i could not visit the site i wanted to at all !
on my phone i was unable to access Instagram it used to say failed to update, many other problems were there, i was unable to download content on my xbox as well.

i always have kaspersky internet security installed on my laptop.But yes no protection on my phone.
at first i thought its some kind of virus/adware/Trojan problem that might have got past my antivirus so i tried many bloatware, adware removal tools but nothing helped in killing this problem

then after searching over the internet (not to forget all this ads thing happening every second ! ) i came to knew that all this is happening cause Router got infected and only method of getting rid of this problem was to reset the modem so i called the guy from my service provider. (bsnl broadband) First he didnt believe that modem is infected he kept insisting that my laptop is infected then i told him that i cannot access my gateway either and this is happening on devices that use internet via modem.
So he finally believed me n reset the modem. Everything started to work like a charm!
Just a few days passed by and all those nightmare like problems started again !!!!

I was like wat the hell is happening !!
then i searched again for this problem then i came to knew that changing my DNS server to google ones would solve this.
And yes they actually did .
I had to change DNS on my laptop on my phone and on my xbox.
Any new device that connects to my wifi gets this problem and its very frustrating for guest (sometimes nice too hehe)
But my router is still infected and i think its hindering my speeds n traffic
my phone's wifi stops working randomly, i turn it Off thn On then sometimes it starts working.

Changing the DNS to googles 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 n port 24 (on phone) is not the final solution
how do i disinfect my router, resetting it clearly isnt helping.

today i tried if the problme is gone now and removed the googles DNS n used DHCP and the problem is still there only difference is that now it directs to some other website across all devices.

noshift

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015

Let us make clear some things ok?
First you mentioned router being infected, then modem, then router again.
Do you have an all-in-one modem provided by your ISP or a modem, plus router network?
If the first, contact your ISP because configuring their device is not advised, only by them.

Qxx1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2014
i have an all in one modem-router provided by ISP. I have broadband connection.
the device is teracom tdsl300w2 provided by BSNL (my ISP)

well i can call the guy again but what steps do i need to take after i call him, that i want to know.
As mentioned he resetted the device but the problem came back in 2-3 days

noshift

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015

I am very curious about what kind of security settings does your modem have.
Like: Wi-Fi - if present - is at least WPA/PSK protected and how easy is it to reach the modem's configuraton page.

rg1981

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015

I am facing the same same problem and have tried resetting the modem ,resetting my bsnl wifi modem ,scannin my laptop and ipad alike and deleting cookies,

if anyone has got the solution
please advice and help
thx
rg
nothin seems to work

Qxx1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2014

dear, read the post carefully, i hv posted the way-around as well..
u need to change ur DNS server on all devices that use internet through that modem.... resetting just works for a few days/hours.
on your phone u hv to change DNS as well as port
on computer/laptop u need to change only the DNS
read the post carefully for more info, its all thr....
i have not been able to find any other solution for this...

TRENDING THREADS