Router into modem not working.

abakhru

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
Hello,
I have a cable modem with wireless and 4 ports. It works fine. I wanted to add more ports and another wireless network, so I got a D link 825 wireless modem. I took 1 slot from the cable modem and hooked in the D link modem input to that slot. The D Link also works fine for anything plugged into its ethernet slots. The wireless connections will not work. Not sure why. Any ideas? I've reset the wireless settings multiple times to barebones but no idea what's wrong. IP for the cable modem is 192.168.1.1 and for the router is 192.168.0.1. both are set up as dhcp servers.

wacabletech

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

You MUST power cycle the cable modem after you change the device it is hooked up to, It logs the MAC address of the first connection [ie your computer] and will ONLY talk to that device until its memory is cleared through a power cycle. The TRICK here is to hook it up to the router, and then depower both the modem and router, power up the modem and wait until the ONLINE light locks solid. Then power up the router, after that follow it's directions to set up the wireless.