[SOLVED] Router Is Far From Computer, What Are My Options?

Mar 26, 2020
I live in an apartment complex in Japan and my router is locked to the ethernet output in the apartment, which happens to be at the top of a closet in the back master bedroom. My computer is at the other end of the apartment, past a few rooms and walls along the way, and connecting via Wi-Fi with my current Wi-Fi adapter is impossible. Is my best course of action trying to run a 50ft Ethernet cable from the master bedroom along the ceiling or floor using some of those command tape cable strips? Or is there another option I'm missing that would be a better course of action? I'm not really tech savvy with what's out there to let me connect with a hardline.

Solution
I live in an apartment complex in Japan and my router is locked to the ethernet output in the apartment, which happens to be at the top of a closet in the back master bedroom. My computer is at the other end of the apartment, past a few rooms and walls along the way, and connecting via Wi-Fi with my current Wi-Fi adapter is impossible. Is my best course of action trying to run a 50ft Ethernet cable from the master bedroom along the ceiling or floor using some of those command tape cable strips? Or is there another option I'm missing that would be a better course of action? I'm not really tech savvy with what's out there to let me connect with a hardline.
You live in an apartment. There are dozens of WIFI signals competing...

kanewolf

Titan
You live in an apartment. There are dozens of WIFI signals competing. WIFI will NEVER be a good network method for you.
Is there any coax infrastructure in the apartment? If so, MoCA would be the recommendation. Otherwise powerline network adapters.
A WIFI extender as recommended above would be the last possible choice.

Solution
Note if you do attempt the ethenret cable ....your best option if it can be accomplished....make sure you do not use that flat cable. The cable is not certified cable and has many issues. One key problem is that it gets more issues the longer the cable is. Just use normal cat5e cable being sure it is pure copper cable with wire size 22-24