Router is inaccessible using the default gateway?

BMilitant

Honorable
Apr 10, 2016
Hello all,

I have found this forum to be helpful in the past so I decided to come back with a tough one this time (hopefully its not tough and I am just the one making it tough)

So about a week ago I started having issues with my wifi but not really my LAN ethernet connections. I could not get internet connection with my wifi and had various issues. I decided to factory reset my Netgear WNDR3400 router. I unplugged the cable modem and then plugged both back in. I still have internet access on my pc under a different name "network 4".

I cannot access my routers configuration page and I could not access it anymore before I factory reset it, which is why I came to the conclusion I should do the factory reset. The router seems to not even be working? I am no master at IP's or subnetting but my IP address from Comcast is weird to me.

C:\Users\BMilitant>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : BMilitant-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.md.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.md.comcast.net.
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 4C-CC-6A-0C-1C-96
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:558:6020:101:948e:f89f:aa84:834b(Pre
ferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, July 16, 2018 6:32:06 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, July 19, 2018 7:59:03 PM
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5d30:3a7d:b99f:21be%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 73.250.3.134(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.254.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, July 16, 2018 6:32:01 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, July 19, 2018 7:36:43 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::201:5cff:fe82:c846%11
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 69.252.65.205
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 256691306
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1E-96-B2-67-4C-CC-6A-0C-1C-96

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:558:feed::1
2001:558:feed::2
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.hsd1.md.comcast.net.:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.md.comcast.net.
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Isn't 73.250.3.134 a weird IP address? I can ping my default gateway successfully but if I type in my default gateway into my browser bar it does not take me to my router configuration login. I cannot configure my wifi and it seems the router is not functioning properly (besides routing the internet thru my LAN Ethernet).

If I go to my adapter settings and hit "diagnose" it says that the default gateway is unavailable and your device appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (dns server) is not responding.

I can ping the default gateway in the command prompt with successful reply but I agree that 73.250.2.1 doesn't seem like it should be my real default gateway. I have flushed my DNS and renewed it in the command prompt and I still get the same "your device appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (dns server) is not responding" message when I hit diagnose.

I have turned my firewall off and just ran a Malwarebytes complete scan with no threats found.
I doubt it is anything like malware, it has to be some type of configuration that is wrong or somehow I screwed up. I have Comcast internet and its been fine for about 2 years so I am not sure what is up with this. The router used to work fine and I had a common 192.168.x.x IP address.

Any help would be appreciated. I have read a few other forum posts somewhat similar to this and no one really had a answer that helped. I might have to hard reset the router again. Thanks for reading.

Solution
Ok, so I figured it out. It's another one of those stories about how computers are smarter than us. The router configuration was telling me that I did not have internet to the router, which was true and false. At some point in all this when I was messing around with something I did not plug the ethernet cord from the modem into the "internet" port on the router, it was connected to a normal ethernet spot on the router, which somehow still was passing through internet to the other ports to cables to my pc somehow. Also, I found out that I had a loopback adapter somehow installed on my pc which I knew wasn't normal and I had it disabled, but I finally went into device manager and deleted it. Now everything is up and working. Hopefully...

BMilitant

Honorable
Apr 10, 2016

When I paste 192.168.1.1 into my browser, it hangs until I get a "The connection has timed out" message. This is where I am lost. To me this seems the Router is not doing anything at all except passing through my internet from the modem as if its some type of dumb device like a hub or something.
Thanks for the reply

That was my first guess as well as normally a default router will have 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 as the gateway and then the systems will be something like 192.168.1.X or 0.X.

What kind of router is it?

Have you tried to reset it to default settings? That might be the only solution. Then after I would suggest trying to update the router to the latest firmware.

BMilitant

Honorable
Apr 10, 2016

It is a Netgear WNDR3400 router and I factory reset it already before I wrote this post. The factory reset seemed to not do anything.

BMilitant

Honorable
Apr 10, 2016

ok, so I ran an ethernet to another pc in my house. This ethernet is going from the router to my 2nd pc and the 2nd pc shows the name of my old network that used to work but it says "no internet access" but when I do check the ip address on this pc, it says I have a normal IP address of 192.168.1.2 and the default gateway is 192.168.1.1, so I enter this into my browser and I can login to the Netgear router configuration, and when I try to get the setup wizard to run, it says that there is no internet connection detected and that I need to check my cables. But on my main PC I am running the internet perfectly fine through the same router with another ethernet cord... on my main PC it says I am connected to "network 4" on my 2nd pc, it says im connected to the name of my network like it used to be when everything worked fine. So this weird IP address that I have here on my main PC must be wrong, its working, I don't know how but any other ideas from here would be very appreciated

BMilitant

Honorable
Apr 10, 2016
Ok, so I figured it out. It's another one of those stories about how computers are smarter than us. The router configuration was telling me that I did not have internet to the router, which was true and false. At some point in all this when I was messing around with something I did not plug the ethernet cord from the modem into the "internet" port on the router, it was connected to a normal ethernet spot on the router, which somehow still was passing through internet to the other ports to cables to my pc somehow. Also, I found out that I had a loopback adapter somehow installed on my pc which I knew wasn't normal and I had it disabled, but I finally went into device manager and deleted it. Now everything is up and working. Hopefully someone else who has this issue can have some clarity if they were lost like I was. I knew it was something I did or changed maybe even unwillingly.

Solution