[SOLVED] Router Issue?

Jul 15, 2021
I had started another thread regarding a new setup after waking up to an issue with my Asus router this morning (RT-N66U), but while trying to finalize my game plan, I was hoping for some assistance on possibly getting my current router back up and running to get me by.

I've verified that I have internet when plugging my desktop directly to my modem, but I have no connection when going through the router. It shows a wifi signal, but with no internet access. It's almost as if I have an issue with the WAN port.

I've unplugged and restarted both the modem and router, checked various cables to see if the specific cable was the issue, as well as verifying with a switch that no connection was happening when connecting the router to the switch. Everything is pointing towards the WAN feed, but I'm not sure of what it could be???

When logged into my router's setup page, I am seeing a message "Your ISP's DHCP does not function properly" - any insight into what that could be caused by, and if it might be causing my current issues?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Sounds like a busted router. Make sure you did the reset properly but I bet it is a hardware failure. The lights staying on even when nothing is plugged in a bad sign.

Since you can plug your PC into the modem and it works the internet and ISP are fine. The router blaming the ISP is kinda funny, all it means is it did not get a IP address via DHCP but it is seem what really happens is the router only thinks it send a request for a DHCP IP address but it never was transmitted down the cable.

If you really want to know you could plug a PC into the wan port and run wireshark. You and then see any packets the router really is sending. If you really want there is a way to make your pc run as a DHCP server. But this would...

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
This sounds like a question that's better directed towards your ISP's customer support. Anything beyond your router's WAN port is probably also beyond anyone but their's control.

EDIT: Please disregard - Did not read close enough.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021
Thanks for the response. I'm planning to call the ISP tomorrow morning, but I thought it worth mentioning that I just realized the WAN and LAN LED lights are stuck "on" on the router. LAN 1&2 are both showing as On even though I have nothing plugged into those ports at the moment. Strange behavior, and doing so even after several reboots and a hard reset.

Sounds like a busted router. Make sure you did the reset properly but I bet it is a hardware failure. The lights staying on even when nothing is plugged in a bad sign.

Since you can plug your PC into the modem and it works the internet and ISP are fine. The router blaming the ISP is kinda funny, all it means is it did not get a IP address via DHCP but it is seem what really happens is the router only thinks it send a request for a DHCP IP address but it never was transmitted down the cable.

If you really want to know you could plug a PC into the wan port and run wireshark. You and then see any packets the router really is sending. If you really want there is a way to make your pc run as a DHCP server. But this would be something to play with I suspect nothing is going to fix the router.

Solution
Jul 15, 2021
Thanks for your assistance - went and got a new temporary router this morning, and I'm back up and running. Grabbed a linksys EA7450 from staples until whatever setup I decide on from Ubiquiti is delivered. That Linksys is giving me 25% slower speeds than I was getting from the 10 year old Asus

TRENDING THREADS