Router issues

DarkBowser

Honorable
May 5, 2012
I'm trying to re-rout a signal from one router through a computer to another router. The setup goes as follows:
Connected Network > My computer > Ethernet cable > Second router
The problem is, Windows recognises the router as an "Unidentified Network" and I have scourged the net for a solution. It worked when I had Vista. Any help would be great. The router is a WRT300N Broadband router. It's quite old, but not outdated. Got it 3 years ago.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
A better solution would to have the first router setup normally with the second router connected to it as a switch(DHCP disabled). If this is not possible then try my first post. Also, you can try bridging the network connections within windows. But I'm not sure if that will work for what you are trying to do.

DarkBowser

Honorable
May 5, 2012
The wireless network I'm connected to is known across the world: xfinitywifi. I'm rerouting that signal through my computer to my router. I have DHCP enabled.
And memadmax, what's RIP?

DarkBowser

Honorable
May 5, 2012
I'm rerouting a signal to another router to create another signal that spreads throughout my house, since the signal is from outside my house I'm just making the signal stronger and more widespread.

dingo07

Distinguished
so.. you've got a wireless router on the ground floor and you want signal on the 3rd floor... all you need is an access point

or

you want to retransmit AT&T/Verizon signals so that your mobile device has signal on the ground floor, but the antenna is on the 3rd

DarkBowser

Honorable
May 5, 2012

Well, I just want to bridge the connection. Between my wireless adapter and my ethernet adapter. Every time I try it my wireless signal is lost.

Skippy27

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
It is very possible that their wireless adapter driver/software does not allow this to prevent this kind of sharing and thus is disabling it when it is detected.

My work sets up our sprint cards using a modified setup to work the same way so that you can't be connected to a hard wire AND a wireless network at the same time.