Router needs reset at least once per day.

uRabbit

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
SB5100 leased modem from Comcast. Have been thinking about purchasing a 5101 to avoid the $7/mo lease fee, but am not sure if I will just have more issues like this if I do.

This thing will drop to .5mbps (sometimes .4, sometimes .7, etc.) when this issue is occurring. Just for contrast, after resetting it, it jumps to 22mbps (we pay for 20).

So, what's the deal? I have it tucked under our desk so that we don't have to see it all the time. In order to reset it, I have get under the desk on my back like it's a vehicle and I'm changing the oil. Ha!

uRabbit

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
I am wondering, as a simple Google search leads me to believe that all Motorola modems (including the 6121) have trouble maintaining connection.

Maybe I'll look into Netgear, Ubee, Arris. My Netgear router is three years old and does pretty well.

uRabbit

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Wasn't the 6121 released in 2010?

Well, that is good to know that you are not having issues with it. I will consider it. The 5101, however, can be had for $20 on my local Craigslist, whereas the cheapest 6121 I have found is $70.

uRabbit

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
I know what their specs are, but running a 20mbps connection, I get 18-24mbps (when it is working) just with my DOCSIS 2.0. And if I downgrade to 3mbps (like we are contemplating), I see even less reason to go DOCSIS 3.0.

I have a SB5100 that's at least 6+ years old and have never had a problem with it. I purchased it new at the time ($60) to avoid time-warner's $5.00/month lease fee. It's paid itself off several times over already. I have 20/1Mb service and my speedtest always gets around 22Mb/s.

I forgot to mention that your topic says router needs reset, but the SB5100 is a modem only. Since you are leasing it, they should replace it for free if it's not working properly.

uRabbit

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
My father's 5100 - a state away and a different provider - does the same thing, though not as often.

Yes, in one of my earlier posts in the thread, I note the typo of 'router', rather than 'modem'. I was multitasking, which is never a good thing for me. Haha!

The only assistance Comcast has provided is to tell me what I already know - reset it. I told them that sometimes this is not enough, and they insist that it is a non-issue and will not be replaced.

Wow, I thought time-warner's service sucked. I don't see why they have a problem replacing a modem, after all you are leasing it from them. In my eyes, that makes them responsible for it. I like the motorola modems. I don't think you'll have any problems with the SB6121 if you decide to get it.