[SOLVED] Router not assigning IPv4

pmb88

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2012
I have an issue reoccurring. I am using a Linksys E2500 router on Win 10. Lately on my PC some sites work like Facebook and Google, but can't access others. I tried to access router page using the default gateway 192.168.1.1, but it doesn't work. I noticed that on my network adapter has an IPv6 address, but no IPv4. I have to restart the router and modem several times. I had this router for several years, and this issue just started recently. I haven't done any changes to the router. Is the router reaching it's end?

Solution
Your current router only has 100mbps ports so that is what is causing the 92mbps speedtest.

Look for a router that has gigabit ports. You should be able to get something fairly good for $50-$60 range. Stay with the better brand routers. Even very inexpensive routers can do 1gbit wan/lan on ethernet. Wifi is going to be more limited by your end devices so don't be conned by big numbers. Lately almost all routers with number between 1200-1750 are only a few dollars different in price. You likely do not need anything with a bigger number.

RealBeast

Titan
I have an issue reoccurring. I am using a Linksys E2500 router on Win 10. Lately on my PC some sites work like Facebook and Google, but can't access others. I tried to access router page using the default gateway 192.168.1.1, but it doesn't work. I noticed that on my network adapter has an IPv6 address, but no IPv4. I have to restart the router and modem several times. I had this router for several years, and this issue just started recently. I haven't done any changes to the router. Is the router reaching it's end?
You should try resetting your router by depressing the reset button for at least 10 seconds. And if available update the firmware. Then once reset you should be able to use the default gateway address 192.168.1.1 user: admin and no password.

But it is a fairly old router and having to restart it frequently is a good indication that it's time for a new router. If you didn't disable IPv4 and cannot enable it try using the Google IPv6 public DNS instead of your ISP (many ISPs now support IPv6, but not all). Google Public DNS IPv6 addresses can be entered into a Windows network page and are as follows:
  • 2001:4860:4860::8888
  • 2001:4860:4860::8844
Their IPv4 servers are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

May 24, 2020
I faced this exact issue with Xfinity 1 year back, I even ended buying a modem/router combo that was compatible with them, but despite having the new equipment it faced a similar issue. That's why I contacted their tech support and they assisted me saying that the IP scope on the network had a dual assignment.

It might sound silly, but try contacting them first, it worked for me! Hope it works for you too!

Also try these:
  • Disable IPV6 (Sometimes it interferes)
  • Setup a Static IPV4 (try it with Static DNS.)
  • Factory reset (It might not solve it if it's not a router settings problem, but worth trying!)

Since nothing has changed in your configuration, I would book a linux live cd/usb to rule out any OS or hardware problems. If it doesn't work on the live cd, then I'd suspect hardware or network problems.

I would also try wifi to see if that is any different. If wifi works and ethernet doesn't in linux, that points to a ethernet port going bad.

pmb88

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2012
When the issue occurs, it occurs on any device whether they are connected via wifi or ethernet. Here's what I've tried since my post:
  • Assigning static ip - this didn't appear to work.
  • Factory reset - it seemed to work nicely for a couple of days. However, the issue reoccurred yesterday.
I'm going to call my ISP and see if it's the dual assignment on the IP. However, I'm leaning towards the possibility that the router is going bad. In your opinion, which router should I get that would be a suitable replacement?

When the issue occurs, it occurs on any device whether they are connected via wifi or ethernet. Here's what I've tried since my post:
So try this to confirm it is your router. The next time it happens, disconnect the router from the modem and connect a computer wired directly to the modem and restart the modem. If your computer has access again, it's the router.

All network adapters that have an IPv6 stack enabled will have an IPv6 address. This is the link-local address.

IPv4 interfaces will assign themselves a random IP address in the range 169.254.0.0-169.254.255.255 if they do not receive an IP address in another fashion, either statically assigned or dynamically via a DHCP server.

IPv6 interfaces will assign themselves a random IP address in the range fe80::. Unlike IPv4, IPv6 link local addresses are always assigned, even if the interface has one or more static/dynamic IP addresses

Your current router only has 100mbps ports so that is what is causing the 92mbps speedtest.

Look for a router that has gigabit ports. You should be able to get something fairly good for $50-$60 range. Stay with the better brand routers. Even very inexpensive routers can do 1gbit wan/lan on ethernet. Wifi is going to be more limited by your end devices so don't be conned by big numbers. Lately almost all routers with number between 1200-1750 are only a few dollars different in price. You likely do not need anything with a bigger number.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS