[SOLVED] Router not letting full internet speed through

Apr 10, 2020
Recently I upgraded my Mediacom internet speed from 100Mbps to 200Mbps. My router (TP-Link Archer AC4000) has a speed test built into the interface. Its showing 260ish every time I test. However my computer (connected via LAN) is only showing around 93, which is what my speed was prior to the upgrade. My laptop via WiFi is only showing 45, which is slower than it used to get with my old speed. I've double check and IPv6 is turned on and the firmware is up to date. Is there any other settings I'm missing and should look at? Why would my router not put through the full speed to a wired connection and give a slower than the older speed to a wifi connection?

Solution
93 is actually a very significant number. That is about what you get when you have a bad cable that limits the speed to 100mbps. Since the router gets higher speed on its tests it much be the cable between the router and the pc. First make sure you have the nic setting on auto. The ethernet nic status will show you the connection speed. Maybe that router also has the ability to display the speed of the lan ports.

Cables in general can't be fixed. It is generally some issue with one of the internal connections on the rj45 plug but most people do not have the ability to replace these. It tends to be most cost efficient to just buy another one.

The slow wifi is likely some other issue.
93 is actually a very significant number. That is about what you get when you have a bad cable that limits the speed to 100mbps. Since the router gets higher speed on its tests it much be the cable between the router and the pc. First make sure you have the nic setting on auto. The ethernet nic status will show you the connection speed. Maybe that router also has the ability to display the speed of the lan ports.

Cables in general can't be fixed. It is generally some issue with one of the internal connections on the rj45 plug but most people do not have the ability to replace these. It tends to be most cost efficient to just buy another one.

The slow wifi is likely some other issue.

Solution