Question Router or Modem Having Issues?

Jaydeesus

Prominent
Jun 16, 2019
So I recently found out that I am paying for 100mbps but today I noticed that on wireless I am only getting 30,I contacted my isp and they said that my modem was causing the issue and capping the speed at 30mbps but I remembered that when I used ethernet I was able to reach 80-90 mbps, so I told them that information and they told me that it is an issue with my router and that it is no capable of sending signals to my devices to hit 100 mbps. At this point I do not know if the issue lies in my router or modem but I just want my 100mbps, my router is a netgear n600 (WNDR3400) and my modem is a surfboard SB6121.Do I buy a new modem or router.

kanewolf

Titan
You CAN'T get 100Mbit throughput with that router. Even wired, you can only get about 90. It has 100Mbit wired ports. To get 100Mbit throughput you need about 110Mbit. That means you have to have gigabit wired ports on your router.
For WIFI, depending on the way you have it configured, your device, the distance, and the amount of WIFI interference, you can probably get 60 to 70Mbit.

SO, if you want 100Mbit performance, you do have to get a new router. Routers with the designation "AC1900" are the price/performance sweet spot.

Jaydeesus

Prominent
Jun 16, 2019
You CAN'T get 100Mbit throughput with that router. Even wired, you can only get about 90. It has 100Mbit wired ports. To get 100Mbit throughput you need about 110Mbit. That means you have to have gigabit wired ports on your router.
For WIFI, depending on the way you have it configured, your device, the distance, and the amount of WIFI interference, you can probably get 60 to 70Mbit.

SO, if you want 100Mbit performance, you do have to get a new router. Routers with the designation "AC1900" are the price/performance sweet spot.
But like if I have my phone sitting on top of the router,I can’t even get over 30. Can you list some routers that I should get?Or should I look into a mesh WiFi system? My house is about 1500 sq ft but my pc is like on the side of the house so I can put a node on each end