Question Router periodically losing internet

cometpup

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018
Our router will randomly lose internet connection every few hours. This has been happening for about a month now for both the ethernet connection and wifi. I've tried 3 different routers, used the latest firmware, tried factory resets, replaced the ethernet cable between the router and modem, tried different dns servers, tried a static ip and nothing changed. If I plug my computer directly into the modem I do not lose connection even after an entire day. When I called Spectrum they told me I had 1 T3 timeout over the last 24 hours even though I had lost my connection 5 times over that time period. We've had an ISP tech out to the house to check our connections and they even replaced our modem although with the exact same model a Hitron E31N2V1 Docsis 3.1. None of the 3 routers or the modem have shown a loss of connection on their indicator lights but I'm not able to connect to the internet. The only way to get the connection back is to reset the router. Resetting the modem does not restore the connection. I've stretched my knowledge as far as it can go and the only thing I can think of to try is getting my own modem. If the modem isn't losing internet but 3 different routers are losing connection I have to think the modem is the problem. The routers I've used are two different Netgear 6700v3 and a TP-Link AC1900. I'd appreciate any insight or advice as to what the issue could be as I've stretched my knowledge as far as it can go and the only thing I can think of to try is getting my own modem.

Ralston18

Titan

cometpup

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018
So I got a Motorola MB7621 today. Called Spectrum to get it activated and was told that they never switched my account to using a customer bought router even though I had told them I was going to and had returned their provided router over 4 months ago. I don't lose internet completely anymore like I was previously as I seem to keep a wifi connection. I suspect my account not being registered as having my own router had something to do with my periodically losing connection to my router. However, I still lose my ethernet connection periodically typically when streaming. The weird thing is literally just unplugging and replugging the cable at the back of my computer or the router restores the connection instantly in addition to resetting the router restoring the connection as well. I've tried 2 different ethernet cables and ports on the router connecting the router and computer with the same results. I even had them reactivate the Hitron to see if the issue persisted and it's exactly the same, keep wifi, lose ethernet, fixed by just unplugging and plugging back in. Tested just plugging computer straight into the modem, same issue, only had to reset computer to get connection again. I fear this is pointing toward my ethernet port/chip starting to die. Could anything else be the cause?

Last edited: