router pfsense subnet bandwidth limit per ip

thatnobguy

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015
Hey community,
I am currently living in a situation where I share a router with 7 other individuals. The bandwidth was okay, until a new tenant moved in. Now the internet is really slow and it is frustrating the other people using the router. I have spoken to the landlord and he has given me permission to monitor the network and find a solution to this problem. What I want to do is have a main router (192.168.1.1) and subnet 2 other routers (192.168.2.1 and 192.168.3.1). Could I place all of the "good" tenants on 192.168.2.1 and have the bandwidth sucker alone on the 192.168.3.1 subnet. Using pfsense on 192.168.1.1 router could I then control the bandwidth limit for 192.168.3.1 making it a fixed limit and allow 192.168.2.1 to have no bandwidth limit? The new tenant is familiar with networking so I am pretty sure he would use a proxy or vpn to try to bipass any firewall rules I place on the main router so I want to double check to see if this would be a solution. Thanks for any advice!

Solution
I recommend asking on the PFSense forums, but you can do something like this

1) Give each user's router a static IP
2) Use HFSC and create a queue for each IP
3) Assign all traffic for a given subnet to their appropriate queue
4) Don't forget to use CoDel for the child queues

This will evenly distribute bandwidth in a near perfect way. More exact details can be gotten from PFSense forums.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
I recommend asking on the PFSense forums, but you can do something like this

1) Give each user's router a static IP
2) Use HFSC and create a queue for each IP
3) Assign all traffic for a given subnet to their appropriate queue
4) Don't forget to use CoDel for the child queues

This will evenly distribute bandwidth in a near perfect way. More exact details can be gotten from PFSense forums.

Solution

thatnobguy

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015

Awesome! Thanks so much for you advice. I will definitely keep this in mind when setting up the network and also will ask the pfsense forum communtiy about this problem. Thanks again!