[SOLVED] Router/PhoneLine/Modem Question

Dec 23, 2021
Hi guys.

So we got BT 900mb FTTP installed a few months ago. The engineer at the time said the BT Smart Hub2 isn't the best and we might be better getting a good 3rd party router. So we did as we were only hitting max speeds of around 700mb wired and the 4 ethernet ports on the smart hub aren't enough for us.

So i have purchased the TP-Link AC5400 router.

Was about to set it up and i realized there isn't a phone line socket on the back of it like there is for the BT Smart Hub 2.
We have this landline btw
https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Cordless-Nuisance-Blocking-Answering-Black/dp/B0787G4BJR

So i'm not sure how to get our landline working. Do i need to buy a modem with a phone line?
Or is there a way to connect the landline to the new router?

I'm not very clued up on these things so any help would me much appreciated.

Solution
You would have been better off getting a $20 switch to add more ethernet ports.

Not a lot of people use landlines anymore, many times they cost much more than a basic cell service.

This all depends on how your ISP provides the voice service. I assume you pay extra to them to get this service. Many times the ISP requires you to use their router so they can guarantee the quality of the phone call.

This is almost something you have to talk to the ISP too see what they recommend. This is some form of VoIP but there are many different ways to implement it. You first need some hardware to convert the phone line to network,that is what the port does in the old router.
A number of years ago there was a box called magicjack...
You would have been better off getting a $20 switch to add more ethernet ports.

Not a lot of people use landlines anymore, many times they cost much more than a basic cell service.

This all depends on how your ISP provides the voice service. I assume you pay extra to them to get this service. Many times the ISP requires you to use their router so they can guarantee the quality of the phone call.

This is almost something you have to talk to the ISP too see what they recommend. This is some form of VoIP but there are many different ways to implement it. You first need some hardware to convert the phone line to network,that is what the port does in the old router.
A number of years ago there was a box called magicjack that a lot of people used. The problem is this connects to the ISP office to connect to actual phone networks. Not all hardware is compatible so you would have to get a list of VoIP equipment or routers that will work.

It will greatly limit your choice since very few routers even have a voice port. I would first try to see if there is a solution that will let you get rid of the landlines. I know the last landline I had just the fees and taxes they add to the bill were as much a cheap cell plan.

If you really need landlines I would look for a external box that you can plug into the router.

Solution
When my engineer installed BT FTTP to my house, he left the existing copper line and phone socket intact, that's where my phone is still plugged in like it's always been.
This type of phone service is being phased out I know, but until then I'll continue to use it.

Was your phone socket on the wall removed by the engineer ?

TRENDING THREADS