Scott

My SMC 2804WBR Barricade Router is a couple of years old.
Just today, I found when trying to access some websites that I
frequently go to (usatoday.com, msnbc.com, some banking sites)
I get a message that "Netscape cannot connect to the server".
Often after a few tries, it connects. IE 6 takes me to a blank
page on many of these sites. I've reset the router, and all
parameters appear to be ok. This intermittent website
connectivity is on all four computers in my home network.
The router firewall is off (Zone Alarm is on), because for some
time it won't let IE6 fully download all images with the firewall
on).

Does this sound like a router problem?

Lately, my SMC router often has to be reset when it stops
connected to the internet. Now there's this new problem of
not connecting to various websites.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

P.S. I do have a LinksysWRT54G wireless router on hand as
a spare.

Thanks!
Scott

smith

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2003

Try disconnecting the router and hooking your connection directly to the
computer, with a direct connection do you still have the problem?

smith

"Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> My SMC 2804WBR Barricade Router is a couple of years old.
> Just today, I found when trying to access some websites that I
> frequently go to (usatoday.com, msnbc.com, some banking sites)
> I get a message that "Netscape cannot connect to the server".
> Often after a few tries, it connects. IE 6 takes me to a blank
> page on many of these sites. I've reset the router, and all
> parameters appear to be ok. This intermittent website
> connectivity is on all four computers in my home network.
> The router firewall is off (Zone Alarm is on), because for some
> time it won't let IE6 fully download all images with the firewall
> on).
>
> Does this sound like a router problem?
>
> Lately, my SMC router often has to be reset when it stops
> connected to the internet. Now there's this new problem of
> not connecting to various websites.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> P.S. I do have a LinksysWRT54G wireless router on hand as
> a spare.
>
> Thanks!
> Scott

Make sure you're up to date on Windows patches, Java support (java.sun.com),
firewall, antivirus, and that you've done a full spyware scan.
Try swapping the routers.

"Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> My SMC 2804WBR Barricade Router is a couple of years old.
> Just today, I found when trying to access some websites that I
> frequently go to (usatoday.com, msnbc.com, some banking sites)
> I get a message that "Netscape cannot connect to the server".
> Often after a few tries, it connects. IE 6 takes me to a blank
> page on many of these sites. I've reset the router, and all
> parameters appear to be ok. This intermittent website
> connectivity is on all four computers in my home network.
> The router firewall is off (Zone Alarm is on), because for some
> time it won't let IE6 fully download all images with the firewall
> on).
>
> Does this sound like a router problem?
>
> Lately, my SMC router often has to be reset when it stops
> connected to the internet. Now there's this new problem of
> not connecting to various websites.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> P.S. I do have a LinksysWRT54G wireless router on hand as
> a spare.
>
> Thanks!
> Scott

Scott

smith,

With a direct computer connections, it worked fine. So I installed a
new Linksys WRT54G Router, and everything is now working
perfectly. Funny, that's the second SMC router of mine to fail
after a year or so.

Scott

Smith wrote:

> Try disconnecting the router and hooking your connection directly to the
> computer, with a direct connection do you still have the problem?
>
> smith
>
> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> > My SMC 2804WBR Barricade Router is a couple of years old.
> > Just today, I found when trying to access some websites that I
> > frequently go to (usatoday.com, msnbc.com, some banking sites)
> > I get a message that "Netscape cannot connect to the server".
> > Often after a few tries, it connects. IE 6 takes me to a blank
> > page on many of these sites. I've reset the router, and all
> > parameters appear to be ok. This intermittent website
> > connectivity is on all four computers in my home network.
> > The router firewall is off (Zone Alarm is on), because for some
> > time it won't let IE6 fully download all images with the firewall
> > on).
> >
> > Does this sound like a router problem?
> >
> > Lately, my SMC router often has to be reset when it stops
> > connected to the internet. Now there's this new problem of
> > not connecting to various websites.
> >
> > Any ideas would be appreciated.
> >
> > P.S. I do have a LinksysWRT54G wireless router on hand as
> > a spare.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Scott

Maybe there is a message here. Two SMC routers failed in a year? Does not give
warm feelings about SMC quality... Ben Myers

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:48:26 -0600, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:

>smith,
>
>With a direct computer connections, it worked fine. So I installed a
>new Linksys WRT54G Router, and everything is now working
>perfectly. Funny, that's the second SMC router of mine to fail
>after a year or so.
>
>Scott
>
>Smith wrote:
>
>> Try disconnecting the router and hooking your connection directly to the
>> computer, with a direct connection do you still have the problem?
>>
>> smith
>>
>> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
>> > My SMC 2804WBR Barricade Router is a couple of years old.
>> > Just today, I found when trying to access some websites that I
>> > frequently go to (usatoday.com, msnbc.com, some banking sites)
>> > I get a message that "Netscape cannot connect to the server".
>> > Often after a few tries, it connects. IE 6 takes me to a blank
>> > page on many of these sites. I've reset the router, and all
>> > parameters appear to be ok. This intermittent website
>> > connectivity is on all four computers in my home network.
>> > The router firewall is off (Zone Alarm is on), because for some
>> > time it won't let IE6 fully download all images with the firewall
>> > on).
>> >
>> > Does this sound like a router problem?
>> >
>> > Lately, my SMC router often has to be reset when it stops
>> > connected to the internet. Now there's this new problem of
>> > not connecting to various websites.
>> >
>> > Any ideas would be appreciated.
>> >
>> > P.S. I do have a LinksysWRT54G wireless router on hand as
>> > a spare.
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> > Scott

Scott

Ben,

What I meant was that each SMC router lasted about a year. The first one went
out when one of the wired ethernet connections on the back stopped working.
SMC tech support said the only solution was to replace the router. Recently, the
second SMC router had to be reset a couple of times a day when the internet
connection would drop off. Then came the new problem of "not connecting
to server" on many sites. I was reluctant to try a firmware upgrade, since others
have told me of SMC upgrades that caused their router to stop working. I had
already had to disable this srouter's firewall, because IE wouldn't download fully
on some sites.

It's nice to be able to use a firewall again, in addition to Zone Alarm.

Interestingly enough, my son has used the same model # SMC router in his
home network for the last couple of years...and it's never missed a beat.

Go figure.

Scott

Ben Myers wrote:

> Maybe there is a message here. Two SMC routers failed in a year? Does not give
> warm feelings about SMC quality... Ben Myers
>
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:48:26 -0600, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:
>
> >smith,
> >
> >With a direct computer connections, it worked fine. So I installed a
> >new Linksys WRT54G Router, and everything is now working
> >perfectly. Funny, that's the second SMC router of mine to fail
> >after a year or so.
> >
> >Scott
> >
> >Smith wrote:
> >
> >> Try disconnecting the router and hooking your connection directly to the
> >> computer, with a direct connection do you still have the problem?
> >>
> >> smith
> >>
> >> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message

Unfortunately, it's electronic -- and can fail. Doesn't matter if it's a
$50 router or a $100,000 Black Diamond switch - parts do fail, and
unexpectedly.

> Ben,
>
> What I meant was that each SMC router lasted about a year. The first one
went
> out when one of the wired ethernet connections on the back stopped
working.
> SMC tech support said the only solution was to replace the router.
Recently, the
> second SMC router had to be reset a couple of times a day when the
internet
> connection would drop off. Then came the new problem of "not connecting
> to server" on many sites. I was reluctant to try a firmware upgrade,
since others
> have told me of SMC upgrades that caused their router to stop working. I
had
> already had to disable this srouter's firewall, because IE wouldn't
download fully
> on some sites.
>
> It's nice to be able to use a firewall again, in addition to Zone Alarm.
>
> Interestingly enough, my son has used the same model # SMC router in his
> home network for the last couple of years...and it's never missed a beat.
>
> Go figure.
>
> Scott
>
> Ben Myers wrote:
>
> > Maybe there is a message here. Two SMC routers failed in a year? Does
not give
> > warm feelings about SMC quality... Ben Myers
> >
> > On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:48:26 -0600, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:
> >
> > >smith,
> > >
> > >With a direct computer connections, it worked fine. So I installed a
> > >new Linksys WRT54G Router, and everything is now working
> > >perfectly. Funny, that's the second SMC router of mine to fail
> > >after a year or so.
> > >
> > >Scott

Yes, my last Black Diamond switch did not last too long. :)

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message news:<oZIEc.7086$gG6.4886@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com>...
> Unfortunately, it's electronic -- and can fail. Doesn't matter if it's a
> $50 router or a $100,000 Black Diamond switch - parts do fail, and
> unexpectedly.

TRENDING THREADS