[SOLVED] Router recommendation

Andrew_72

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016
I've recently upgraded to FTTP and the ISP supplied a Genexis modem with a Linksys Velop mesh system.

I'm not overly impressed with the system so far - the ISP tells me my connection is solid but I seem to find the wifi drops out and is poor on my PC/Laptops.

I've heard great things about Draytek routers so wondered whether to try one of those to try and isolate the issue and prove to myself whether the Linksys Velop system is causing the issues.

I've welcome some advice please.

Solution
It depends if you have a single linksys unit or you have mulitple. The problem maybe in the placement of the equipment. It really is just a wifi repeater and unless you properly place the remote units it will have issues. It will also be much slower connected via one of the remote unit rather than a direct connection to the main router.

If you have only a single box and no remote boxes it is kinda a average router. It gets more or less the same coverage as other routers.

Draytek is not really a well known brand. Mostly it is known for have good dual ISP/wan routers. It is better than some but it is nowhere near companies like asus,tplink,dlink etc.

Your problem likely is your house and your end devices. End devices...
It depends if you have a single linksys unit or you have mulitple. The problem maybe in the placement of the equipment. It really is just a wifi repeater and unless you properly place the remote units it will have issues. It will also be much slower connected via one of the remote unit rather than a direct connection to the main router.

If you have only a single box and no remote boxes it is kinda a average router. It gets more or less the same coverage as other routers.

Draytek is not really a well known brand. Mostly it is known for have good dual ISP/wan routers. It is better than some but it is nowhere near companies like asus,tplink,dlink etc.

Your problem likely is your house and your end devices. End devices tend to not always have the best wifi because of size or the need to conserve battery power.

Not sure in many cases your best option to extend wifi is to use a powerline unit that has a wifi AP in the remote end.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
I've recently upgraded to FTTP and the ISP supplied a Genexis modem with a Linksys Velop mesh system.

I'm not overly impressed with the system so far - the ISP tells me my connection is solid but I seem to find the wifi drops out and is poor on my PC/Laptops.

I've heard great things about Draytek routers so wondered whether to try one of those to try and isolate the issue and prove to myself whether the Linksys Velop system is causing the issues.

I've welcome some advice please.
Good news is since you have a discrete modem, you can use ANY router you want.
Bad news is WIFI is very difficult for someone that has never seen your house to diagnose for you. If you have any whole house ethernet cabling, then adding more WIFI sources is the best way to improve your performance.