Router recommendations for heavy video streaming (up to 5 devices)?

Arrionso

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Hello!

I was hoping I could get some insight and recommendations on possible routers for my home! I have been digging around and have seen recommendations for the Asus RT-N66U and RT-AC66U but I hardly know enough about networking to know if this would be ideal for my situation.

The purpose of the router would be for heavy video streaming (Twitch and Netflix). We don't have any phone or TV service so internet is our only source of entertainment. We're on cable and our speed averages around 60Mbps down / 6Mbps up.

Typically we will have 2~3 smart TVs trying to stream while 2 gaming computers are actively playing online games and also streaming Twitch or Netflix on the side. We also have at least 5 phones actively connected to the wifi alongside a tablet and two laptops. Our budget would ideally have to be around $100 but we can push past this if necessary.

I hope this is enough info but please let me know if I missed anything.
Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
AC66U is the better choice of the two you listed. You might want to consider upgrading to a AC68U.
$100 budget will be broken, but you are really asking a lot from your router. The simple truth with routers is that you get what you pay for.

Autocrat

Respectable
Sep 19, 2016
AC66U is the better choice of the two you listed. You might want to consider upgrading to a AC68U.
$100 budget will be broken, but you are really asking a lot from your router. The simple truth with routers is that you get what you pay for.

Solution

Arrionso

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009

Thank you for the response!
$100 was just a number I wanted to throw out, but I can definitely go up to that $155 range if it's something that will meet our needs.
I actually did take a look at the AC68U as well but wasn't sure if the features or speed capabilities were something I would benefit from. I don't plan to setup any sort of network sharing or storage since we really only have two main computers in the house and they are side by side.
The main priority for us would be a router that will give us good range and a stable connection for all the devices that will be streaming every night. Anything more would just be a bonus!

Autocrat

Respectable
Sep 19, 2016

Stable connection with a lot of devices working at once is what the 68U will excel at. :) If you have a lot of people connecting at once, it is definitely the better choice! :)