[SOLVED] Router recommendations under $250

Steeler1994

Honorable
Apr 10, 2014
Hey guys. So i currently use an old Linksys router that has been dropping connection and is not viable anymore. Looking to purchase a new router under $250. Our speeds are 250 down and 12 up. The house has 3 floors and is 1300 sq ft. The router and modem are on the third floor unfortunately and cannot be changed as of now. There are 20 devices total, 11 wireless and 9 wired. The wired devices are connected to a switch next to the router and cat5e discretely ran around the house connected to consoles and desktops. Just looking for something that is powerful enough for all the devices we have and is reliable.

Solution
I suggest you go with a mesh WiFi kit like the Netgear ORBI, so you could map the whole area.
You could place the main unit (router) next to the modem and the satellite in the middle of the house (2nd floor).
It has very good throughput and range and the instructions are very simple to follow...almost impossible to screw it up.

I have used the TP-Link AC3150 and TP-Link AC2300 on similar space configuration. There was also a switch to connect several devices (tower PC, NAS, security cameras, etc) and the rest (laptops, tablets, phones, thermostat, AC units, etc) were using the two WiFi bands on the router.
The modem and router (TP-Link AC2300) were located in the basement ceiling and the route provide signal to the first and...
I suggest you go with a mesh WiFi kit like the Netgear ORBI, so you could map the whole area.
You could place the main unit (router) next to the modem and the satellite in the middle of the house (2nd floor).
It has very good throughput and range and the instructions are very simple to follow...almost impossible to screw it up.

I have used the TP-Link AC3150 and TP-Link AC2300 on similar space configuration. There was also a switch to connect several devices (tower PC, NAS, security cameras, etc) and the rest (laptops, tablets, phones, thermostat, AC units, etc) were using the two WiFi bands on the router.
The modem and router (TP-Link AC2300) were located in the basement ceiling and the route provide signal to the first and second floors without issues.

Last edited:
Solution

kanewolf

Titan
A mesh would work, but since the house has wired connectivity, there is very little benefit over regular WIFI access points.

I will agree on the AP method since you have all the ethernet cables. There is no magic router that can transmit farther so you will not improve the coverage with a single router solution. You should be able to place a a fairly nice AP on each of the three floors....you could use the radios on your router and then you would only need 2. Most wifi problem are interference so with stronger signal on each floor it should reduce the drops. It also will split your users over multiple radios so it might improve your wifi performance....that is to complex to predict.