[SOLVED] Router Seemingly Not Connecting To Internet After Factory Reset?

Anonemus7

Honorable
Aug 2, 2016
Hi there. I recently received a new router, Comtrend VR-3071. Unfortunately, it seems the password had been changed by the ISP, and they had saved the wrong password. I did a factory reset, and seemingly was able to connect with the password, but when I connected, a message would read, "No Internet, Connected".

The troubleshooter said the problem was "DNS Server Not Responding". An important note, no other devices can connect. My computer cannot connect, neither can any phones in the household, and the Ethernet doesn't seem to be working either. Some help would be much appreciated!
Thanks!

Solution
You can do it yourself.

Unfortunately, many ISP's provide customized routers that can and do restrict customer options via firmware. Functions/features may be either non-existent or minimally available. Documentation may be scant and/or poorly written.

Try configuring the router yourself and see what you can find and learn.

After all, if things go totally astray simply factory reset the router and try again. You have been through that part already and will have a better idea of what to expect and what needs to be done.

Login into the router and compare the administrative screens to the screens shown in the VR-3031u manual.

Another option would be to google "how to configure a Comtrend router".

I just did that and the...

Ralston18

Titan
When you did the factory reset, the router reverted to all of the default settings.

In other words, the router has simply "forgotten" any and all the configuration changes you made to the original factory settings to get the router to function with respect to your ISP and home network requirements.

And that includes the administrator login name and the password.

May be back to "admin" and "password" respectively. Varies....

You need the User Guide/Manual applicable to Comtrend's VR-3071 router.

All I could find was:

http://download.comtrend.com/VR-3031u_manual.pdf

The older documentation may provide at least a bit of a start with regards to reestablishing your network and internet connections. May or may not carry over into the 3071 model.

Overall, the starting point is with your ISP:

https://us.comtrend.com/support/

Anonemus7

Honorable
Aug 2, 2016
When you did the factory reset, the router reverted to all of the default settings.

In other words, the router has simply "forgotten" any and all the configuration changes you made to the original factory settings to get the router to function with respect to your ISP and home network requirements.

And that includes the administrator login name and the password.

May be back to "admin" and "password" respectively. Varies....

You need the User Guide/Manual applicable to Comtrend's VR-3071 router.

All I could find was:

http://download.comtrend.com/VR-3031u_manual.pdf

The older documentation may provide at least a bit of a start with regards to reestablishing your network and internet connections. May or may not carry over into the 3071 model.

Overall, the starting point is with your ISP:

https://us.comtrend.com/support/

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I do have the administrator login name and password, and I'm able to get to the settings site for the router. I can't figure out what to do from here though, will I still need to contact the ISP or is this something I can do myself?

Ralston18

Titan
You can do it yourself.

Unfortunately, many ISP's provide customized routers that can and do restrict customer options via firmware. Functions/features may be either non-existent or minimally available. Documentation may be scant and/or poorly written.

Try configuring the router yourself and see what you can find and learn.

After all, if things go totally astray simply factory reset the router and try again. You have been through that part already and will have a better idea of what to expect and what needs to be done.

Login into the router and compare the administrative screens to the screens shown in the VR-3031u manual.

Another option would be to google "how to configure a Comtrend router".

I just did that and the search resulted in quite a number of links.

Interestingly enough the following link appeared:

https://www.comtrend.com/dbase/upload-img/download/WAP-PC1750W_QIG_Final.pdf

Different model but may be similar configuration screens.

Do the same and look for additional links that match to your router's admin windows. Modify the search criteria as necessary to narrow down results.

Do not immediately start configuring the router. Read/watch several sources and make notes regarding what you need to do, what settings you plan use, etc. Step by step to plan out the configuration.

Get up and running with a basic configuration. Then make more specific configuration changes (port forwarding, firewalls, QoS, parental controls etc.) later on after you know that your internet and network are stable.

And some router's allow you to save and restore the configuration settings. Look for that function as well.

Save your configuration if possible to save time and effort later. Recovery will be easier to do.

Solution