Question Router seems to be causing random disconnections?

tmt69

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
To start, I have an Asus RT-AC68u router, and an Arris TG27xxx, Spectrum (Time Warner) ISP. Router firmware is current.

Earlier this week, I started to get random disconnections. All the lights on the Arris modem would stay on as if the connection was good. I tried power-cycling the router, and there would be no change. If I power-cycled the modem, the internet connection would be temporarily fixed. This is effecting all internet connection, wired and wireless.

I've talked to spectrum, they said everything looks fine on their end signal wise, that they couldn't help with the router and pointed a lot of fingers at my router. They suggested trying to run directly into my modem, and only using that. I tried that for troubleshooting and still had the disconnections.

Next, I did a hard reset on the modem. After that, I didn't have any problems for a few hours on direct connection to modem via ethernet. I decided to plug the Asus router back in, and shortly after I had a similar disconnection.

During this whole process I recorded some of the issues I had, and errors from windows. I checked logs on the router which would come back with multiple lines of 'WLCEVENT' eth 0,1 would repeat during the incident.

In the Asus router, I noticed an error when the disconnection came up. It said: "Your ISP's DHCP does not function properly."

I was not able to login to the modem page until after the modems hard reset, before the modems hard reset, the default gateway was some crazy IPv6 address and on a second line, a 75.xx.xx.x address that I've never seen before.

After the hard reset, it went back to the normal default gateway, and I'm able to login with the usual modem 0.1 address.

Now that I have both router and modem connected again, an IPCONFIG shows two default gateways again, one looks like an IPv6 address, the second one looks like the router login address which is normal.

I don't know a ton about networking, but I did take some basic classes and have some broad knowledge of at least terminologies.

Right now, I don't know if this makes any different or change, but since I was noticing the IPv6 addresses, I decided to turn on IPv6 on my router to see if it would fix the disconnecting, since the router said my ISP's DHCP wasn't functioning. So far, no crashes but I don't think this is over yet.

Any ideas what could be going on, or what I should do?

I can post any relevant (non private) information that's needed to help!

Thank you in advance!

kanewolf

Titan
You can check the status of the Arris modem by attempting to access 192.168.100.1 from your browser. You can get signal strength, and error counts from the status on the modem. +5 to -5db on the signal level is optimum. You can also see the event log in the modem.
The router should have an option to release and renew the DHCP in the user interface. I would start there rather than a reboot.

tmt69

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
I went ahead and exchanged my modem for a similar one, it’s all the same features but technicolor. The Ethernet will not work, and the wireless is not enabled so I have no way into this new modem. I tried switching power outlets and that got the Ethernet lights working. I can still directly connect to router and login, but not modem. I tried the combo again, but router says wan is not connected. What’s going on? This started as intermittent and now is permanent. New modem still has lights for uplink, downlink and internet, but windows says: plug in an Ethernet cable, have tried new cables, working cables, still same message

TRENDING THREADS