Question Router selection and 802.11ax

Jul 31, 2019
Hello,

I know there's a decent amount resources out there about router selection and I am familiar with the diffrent aspects to consider, however I am hoping that someone could make a reccomdation on a router to buy based on my circumstances so that I don't spend more money than I will really need to on a router.

I just bought a 1400sqft house and I plan using around 15 or so WiFi devices, with some of these existing outside but still close to the house. The exterior walls are brick, but I'm not sure how much the brick will attenuate the signal, so I will need to make sure that the router is powerful enough so that the outdoor devices can connect well. I am also looking to utilize QoS settings so that I can ensure that one device isn't hogging too much bandwidth. I'm on a gigabyte data plan with FIOS and with the router they supplied I am seeing bewteen 500-600 Mbps at my desktop on the 5GHz band.

With this in mind I have been looking at what's out there and was considering getting a 802.11ax router for future proofing, but I am not sure if one of these are worth the ~$300 investment. Should I pony up the money and go with a WiFi6 router for my circumstances, or would it be a better idea to go with a WiFi 5 router and save some money? Specific reccomendations are very welcome. Thanks for your time!

kanewolf

Titan
With gigabit WAN service, QoS is not really necessary or beneficial.
FIOS may REQUIRE you to use their router if you have phone or TV service. You can disable their WIFI but you may be forced to use their router.
I would not recommend an "ax" router.
You will probably need an outdoor WIFI access point for your outdoor coverage.
Remember you aren't running an AM radio station. You can't "blast" a signal. The client devices have to be able to transmit back. They are generally lower power devices (phones, IoT, etc) . To get the desired coverage, you may need multiple WIFI sources with a wired backhaul to the primary router.

Spend your money on paying someone to install ethernet cabling to all fixed location devices, IMO. TVs, game consoles, desktop PCs should all be wired. Save wireless for devices that can't be wired like IoT or phones and tablets.

Reactions: aas713
Jul 31, 2019
Got it! I have a Traeger grill and some wifi security cameras I plan on using outdoors, are there any router or extender options that have a ip rating for outdoors? I also only get internet from fios, and 2as told that I should be able to use a different router (hopefully). Would you recommend a WiFi 5 router in this case?

kanewolf

Titan
Most "home" routers were not designed for gigabit WAN service. They just don't have the CPU performance. My experience with FIOS was the wired router was pretty decent. The WIFI was poor. I ran my FIOS with the ISP router (because I had TV) and used WIFI access points for WIFI. Look at the Ubiquiti UniFI line of hardware. They have indoor and outdoor rated WIFI hardware.
Unless you are using battery powered cameras, you still have to get a power cable to them somehow. A POE ethernet cable is no more complicated and avoids the WIFI issues.

Reactions: aas713