Router shows up listed as a Computer in Networking

MEA707

Reputable
Apr 12, 2017
I have two computers connected on a network, one with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and the other with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

On both computers, they see each other under Networking, but they also see my LinkSys WRT3200ACM router listed as a Computer. Is this normal? If not, how do I get rid of it?

Capture.png

MEA707

Reputable
Apr 12, 2017

Yes I know.

I'm asking if it's normal for it to show up listed as a computer in the Windows networking?

If you actually loaded third party firmware it may appear as a computer. Third party firmware is based on linux and has many feature active a router does not. It depends how your computer is deciding what is a router and what is computer. I never bothered to see but I assume it is looking at thre response it get from some form of port scan.

MEA707

Reputable
Apr 12, 2017

Thanks. I actually didn't load any 3rd party firmware. It just has the the stock LinkSys firmware.

However, on the Windows 10 computer, it is detecting a "RaLinkLinuxClient" which I Googled a few days ago and is supposedly the Wi-Fi chipset inside the router. The Windows 7 computer however isn't detecting it.

Capture2.png

It's not a big deal I guess, but I wish it wouldn't unnecessarily clutter the Network folder.

TRENDING THREADS