• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Meet Stan Dmitriev of SurrogateTV on the Pi Cast TODAY! The show is live August 11th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Professional PC modder Mike Petereyns joins Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 13th at 3:00 pm ET (8:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Router Signal and speed slowing after a few months.

je1983

Reputable
Jul 17, 2016
Since I moved apartments three months ago I bought an ASUS RTAC68, the latest hw and firmware version. I have a 100gig connection and when I test a device in the same room I get up to 800Mbps via 5ghz.

My main pc however is in a bedroom roughly 20 feet away from the router position and separated by thick walls. There is a hallway and a bathroom with a washing machine which from my observation has not affected the wifi but the thick walls are an obstacle. With 2.4ghz I get close to full bars according to the windows 10 internet thing on the bottom right corner, and can run speeds of up to 40mbps. With 5ghz however, I get 1 to 3 bars intermittently but I usually run speeds of 40Mbps and higher, usually around 80-100+.

The last few weeks, I have come into issues. Sometimes one of my connections, usually the 5ghz will be connected but not have internet connectivity. I switch to 2.4ghz and it works fine. I switch back to 5ghz immediately and it's fine. This has been happening almost daily for the past week and sometimes 2-3 times a day. Also, signals appear weaker than they were previously. I have not moved my pc or router. I did take it out and clean it and redo the internal wiring but put it back to it's original position a few weeks back. Speeds are also siginficantly slower, less than 10Mbps on 5ghz now with one bar and around 20Mbps on 2.4 with full bars.

I rebooted the router which took about five minutes, which I found odd. Other than that I don't know what else I can do to remedy this situation. I don't know if I should try different channels, if it's something to do with my pc or the router itself. Temperatures in my area have gone up from 24c just a few weeks ago to 29 just the other day. I don't know if it's that or maybe routers just lose signal over time?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS