Router slowing down internet speed by 10 times.

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Hey

I got a Belkin Play f7d4302v1 between modem and my desktop pc, to get wireless internet around the house.

Sadly, when I download something on my desktop, I get 0.6mpbs download speed (on services like steam, etc) instead of the 6 Mbps I get when I directly put the ethernet cable into my desktop. (bypassing the Belkin)

This has only started happening since 6 months.
It occurs even when no other wireless devicse are using the wireless internet or are connected to it.

So I got 10 times less speed just by putting the router in between my modem and my desktop? It only has to pass it right on to my desktop, but it decimates the speed when doing this...

I have tried fiddling around with different settings in my router setup menu, I tried resetting back to factory settings, the firmware is up to date. I tried giving my desktop's IP 87% of the bandwith, and the wireless devices 1% each. (configurable, see picture). I tried everything.
qosm.png

Why can't the router just simply give the internet speed it receives directly to my desktop?

Anyone has any clue what is going on here?

thanks

Estix

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Have you tried just turning off the packet scheduling?

Also, is your desktop connecting to the router by a cable or wirelessly?

Also, make sure the router's firmware is up-to-date.

Have you run http://www.speedtest.net/ on the CPU with and without the router? This shows download/upload speeds and will be more of a stable test as compared to downloading something from the net.

If the speed test shows slower results with the router, try doing a factory reset on the setup and retesting.

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Hey guys, thanks for answering that fast!
Here you can see what is frustrating me so much:

With router in between:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2683694431.png
cable straight into the desktop:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2683697136.png

Steam itself is very reliable aswell, it gets maximum download speeds.

What is packet scheduling?
As I mentioned the router's firmware is updated to the latest version.
The problem occured some months ago, before that it worked normally I guess, I don't get why a reset to factory settings doesn't fix this.

There has to be something set in there that is causing the problem - or it could be a hardware issue with the router. There should be a factory reset switch - found this:

•Unplug all LAN cables from the router.

•Unplug the router power cord connector from the back of the device.

•Using a paper clip or something similar that will fit into the reset hole, press continue to hold the reset button, then carefully reinsert the power cord, making sure not to release the reset button in the process.

•Continue to hold the reset button in for at least 15 seconds after inserting the power cord, then release it. After about 10-25 seconds the router will boot and it will be set back to the original factory default settings.

By default the password on the router is left blank, and the default IP address is 192.168.2.1

Resetting the 4-Port Router to factory default:

•With the router powered on, press and hold the reset button for exactly seven seconds, this will restore the router to factory default.

•This also applies to: F5D5230-4 4-Port Cable/DSL Gateway Router, F5D6230-3 Wireless Cable/DSL Gateway Router (11Mbps), F5D6231-4 802.11b Wireless Cable/DSL Gateway Router, and F5D7230-4 Wireless G Router Resolution.

•Note: By default the password on the router is left blank, and the default IP address is 192.168.2.1

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
The first method you said didn't work, even after a minut of time, settings were not reset.
I had to replug the power cable for it to actually boot.

But in my router's option I have this:
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/6506/naamloosli.png

And I have done this numerous times in the past, this doesn't fix the problem.

Weirdly, without any actual factory reset (the wireless network SSID didn't change). Right after replugging the router, I got this fantastic result on my desktop with the router in between! (i get similar tests on my laptop, wirelessly)
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2685279015.png

I didn't reset factory settings, merely unplugged and replugged.

Something tells me it will be back to the old soon, but for now it's fixed?

Could it have something to do with devices connected to the router, bugging it?
I know yesterday (and the weeks before) I recall the DHCP client list existed of 5 members, now it's just 2:
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/3143/dhcpo.png
- My laptop
- Dads laptop
- My desktop
- Printer
- Some nameless device.

Also regularely, we get IP conflicts or something, without anything causing it (no router reboot) Just when booting up some device, it can't connect and reports IP conflict. Haven't found what causes this, I just keep rebooting the devices/router untill it works.

Anyway, I'm glad it's fixed for now (even without doing anything special) but I hope it stays like this and won't happen again.

One thing I would do is check what is connecting to your router....someone could be stealing your bandwidth. Make sure wireless is set to WPA2 security. All devices should be using DHCP to assign IP addresses - I know sometimes the printers can cause problems with conflicting IP addresses.

If you can't identify the "nameless" device, I would ban the MAC address of that device.

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Suprise suprise!!

I already was not keen on that nameless device in the past, so I watched the DHCP list closely.

Now today, I return from work and TADAA! back to 10mbps from the original 55 on all my devices!
So I checked the DHCP list and TADAA! the mysterious device is back.

I blocked it by MAC adress, and this solved it! But can I somehow figure out what exactly is doing this? Which device it is?

I checked my download log at my ISP, and not that much has been downloaded (30GB in 20 days, which could be my own usage)
So how can this nameless device take away 40mbps of my speed from each of my devices, but not download anything?

Weird...

It's looking like this:
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2227/naamloosycu.png

It's weird how it has no name, while the other have, and it's slowing down my network by so much without downloading! :S

Can I block him/it completely from even seeing my network? These are my security settings for the wireless:
http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/2391/naamloos1a.png

If you are using WPA2 security with a password, they would need your password or they may have hacked the router. You would need to change the admin password and password for the network.

That being said, turn off all devices except one computer, and see if the device is listed. It could be anything from a phone to a printer....hard to say. It is also strange that the ip address is not in order (typically, DHCP assigns them in order - so it could be that several are using the internet.

The device could be using network bandwidth, not just internet bandwidth.

I would change your security to WPA2 only, and make it a big passcode using capital and lower case letters, and numbers/symbols. I typically use a passphrase that I can remember like "theYankeeslosTtoday!2013" - make it something you can remember, and write it down for safe keeping.

Remember - people in your household can give out your passphrase....

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Changing the passwords and blocking his MAC adress must have chased that guy off, I don't see him in the DHCP client list no more.

But yet, I keep having these 5mb/s instead of 50mbps download speeds!

I can always solve it by pulling the power cable out of the router and inserting it. But a few hours later it's the same story..
Does anyone have an idea what makes this happen?

Could this be due to this 'packet scheduling' Estix mentioned?

Brandon Salazar

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013

I was having the same problem until i just did a factory restore and it just went back to normal

TormyVanCool

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Hi, I have the same router since years, and I got the same identical issues.
Unfortunately I have not solutions, and I ask myself if it's not a Belkin bug never solved by Belkin itself.
I got also several times the issue with no wanted IPs and even Mac Addresses, without being able to catch them out.
The system is WP2 and protected by my own password as here is suggested as well.
But still a mess.

Resetting to factory didn't solved the problem. Just the speed went up the first minutes but then felt again dramatically down

I looked in internet for some solution several times and today I got this site with this thread. The only thing I'm happy is that I'm not the only one, because it means there is an issue somewhere (I think in the Belkin) but to the other side, I'm quite worried from the fact that no solutions are popping up.
If this is a security bug or sever malfunctioning of the Belkin , I should think then to change the router with something else ...

TormyVanCool

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

I have not any QoS profile menu ... and it seesm there is not any update for the firmware :-/

mpastrick

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
I have the identical problem with my ASUS Wifi router. I do not have any QoS running and I have the most up-to-date firmware on the router, albeit an old one (ASUS RTN12).
I get similar test results at speedtest.net (58Mb down with 12Mb up). But, with the router in place it starts with great speeds then it quickly drops off over the course of 2-4 hours. In my testing, I have removed all wireless devices and just plugged my PC into the router via Ethernet. Still, the problem persists. Disconnecting ethernet and moving straight to cable modem, by-passing router, no problems. Plug it back in - problem persists. Power cycle of router - works for a short time again. Few hours later, drops off. My thinking is there is some flaw in these routers (memory leak or something, I don't know). I have an old Linksys WRT-54G, I don't remember it having this problem, but at that time, I also wasn't getting these D/L speeds as well. So, for now - I just have keep logging into my router, (first thing after starting my PC, or when I sit down to it) - send the router a "reboot" command - wait 60 seconds, and I am back to full speed. Eventually, I will find a router that works properly.