[SOLVED] Router speed goes from 1Gb to 100Mbps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 6, 2021
Hey everyone, so I have a problem with my ethernet connection speed, I have a tplink archer 6 connected via cable to my main router, this tplink has gibabit ports and I am using one of them, the problem is that that when I do a speed test or download anything my speed is capped at 100, but when I reboot my tplink it goes back to 1000 and then after sometime it goes back to 100, and then I have to reboot my tplink again, and this goes on and on and on, so does anyone have a solution for this? Thanks in advanced.

Solution
If it disconnects dosen't that mean that I would simply lose the connection and not the speed of the internet itself?
It depends on which wire has issues. gigabit need all 4 pairs of wires. 100mbps only need 2 pair so if there are problems with certain pairs of wires it can just drop back. It depends how lucky you are, if you lose a wire in the pairs used both by gig and 100mbps the port will just go down.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you please mention the make and model of your router? Is this the router you own? if so, can you check and see what your current firmware on the router is? Mind also sharing the specs to your build that's tethered to the router? Please list the specs like so:

CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

if you're on Windows 10, please mention the version(not edition) of the OS.

You have a bad cable someplace in the path, either the one to your pc or the one between the 2 routers. You might be able to tell from the lights on the router.

It could be that one of the ends is slightly loose and as it gets warm one wire disconnects. You can not really fix cable and unless you already have the tools to put ends on it is going to be cheaper to buy a new cable

Oct 6, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you please mention the make and model of your router? Is this the router you own? if so, can you check and see what your current firmware on the router is? Mind also sharing the specs to your build that's tethered to the router? Please list the specs like so:

CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

if you're on Windows 10, please mention the version(not edition) of the OS.

The router I own is the one in the link but the V2 not the V3, the firmware version is the 1.3.6, and my specs are:

CPU: Intel Core i7 10750H
Motherboard: LENOVO LNVNB 161216
Ram: 16 GBytes DDR4 at 1600
SSD/HDD: 1TB SSD(don't know the manufactor)
GPU: RTX 2060
PSU: Don't know
Chassis: Laptop
OS Build: 19042.1237

Oct 6, 2021
You have a bad cable someplace in the path, either the one to your pc or the one between the 2 routers. You might be able to tell from the lights on the router.

It could be that one of the ends is slightly loose and as it gets warm one wire disconnects. You can not really fix cable and unless you already have the tools to put ends on it is going to be cheaper to buy a new cable

If it disconnects dosen't that mean that I would simply lose the connection and not the speed of the internet itself?

It depends on which wire has issues. gigabit need all 4 pairs of wires. 100mbps only need 2 pair so if there are problems with certain pairs of wires it can just drop back. It depends how lucky you are, if you lose a wire in the pairs used both by gig and 100mbps the port will just go down.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.