[SOLVED] Router speed significantly slower than modem ?

wurstnight

Honorable
Jun 2, 2016
As title states, my router speed is significantly slower than my modem. I pay for 1Gbps. The modem is getting about 800Mbps average while the router gets 85Mbps. The modem is roughly 100 feet away with a cat 5e inbetween. I tested both with a wired connection with the same brand new cat6 on the same computer. The router is a Netgear WNDR4500-N900, which is Gigabit capable.

Solution
As title states, my router speed is significantly slower than my modem. I pay for 1Gbps. The modem is getting about 800Mbps average while the router gets 85Mbps. The modem is roughly 100 feet away with a cat 5e inbetween. I tested both with a wired connection with the same brand new cat6 on the same computer. The router is a Netgear WNDR4500-N900, which is Gigabit capable.
There is another thread with that same router. Similar symptoms -- https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/paying-for-1gbps-and-only-getting-90mbps.3661520/
Have you done a factory reset on your router? Some options on routers force the CPU to do most of the work. Things like QOS or some logging can cause these limitations. Start with a factory...

kanewolf

Titan
There is another thread with that same router. Similar symptoms -- https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/paying-for-1gbps-and-only-getting-90mbps.3661520/
Have you done a factory reset on your router? Some options on routers force the CPU to do most of the work. Things like QOS or some logging can cause these limitations. Start with a factory reset and MINIMAL setup of the router (admin password, WIFI SSID and password only). See if that fixes your performance problem.

Reactions: Grobe
Solution