[SOLVED] Router speed

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
Hi,

Okay so I have a netgear nighthawk router RAX70 I also have a cable modem the Arris s33 Cable modem which supports up to 3.5 GBPS Now I have an ethernet cable (cat7) plugged into the 2.5 GBPS port on the back of the cable modem and I have the other end plugged into the Wan port on the back of the router. Then I have another ethernet cable plugged into a regular ethernet port on the back of my router and the other end plugged into the back of my computer into my 10GB Ethernet card tp-link Ethernet card. My issue is when I plug the cable modem into my computer directly bypassing the router I'm able to get 2.5 GBPS for a link speed. It shows this when I go into my network and connection sharing in my windows 11 OS Desktop computer. Which gives me much higher speeds when I run a speedtest from speedtest.net well over a gig 1,440 and change. Something like that. But when I plug the ethernet cable going from the 2.5 gig port on the modem to the wan port on the router and then the other ethernet cable going from a regular ethernet port on the back of the router too the 10gb ethernet card. Not onboard. It will not let me set the link speed to 2.5 GBPS. It only allows me to set either 1 gig or Auto negotiate. So I'm wondering why this is happening? Is it because the ports on the router are only 1 gig for speed? Or is it saomething elso? When it trys to detect the network using 2.5 for a link speed it says Unidentified network and then just does nothing and I can't connect to the internet I have no Ipv4 connectivity. Is it the router causing this or something else? And if it is the router could you maybe recommend a netgear nighthawk router that has the actual ports that have a speed higher than 1 gig. Not the router itself but the ports on the router Because I have an RAX70 Netgear nighthawk router and this is the router I'm having the issue with. And I spent pretty good money for this router. And still the ports themselves only support 1 gig for speed. So I want to make sure I get something where the ports themselves support higher than 1 gig for speed. Or I will just use a straight cable modem connection which works. For a 2.5 GBPS Link Speed reading.

Thank you!!

Solution
Before you go really far stop and ask yourself why do you want more than 1gbit. If you are one of those torrent guys I will just shake my head and you can ignore the rest.

Pretty much all a faster connection does is reduce the download time of large files. It has no impact on almost any kind of traffic. Things like netflix only use what they need which is well under 25mbps even for 4k video. Stuff like web browsing uses almost none and stuff like online games are under 1mbps in a lot of cases.

So you have to ask yourself how many minutes per month do you save in your downloads compared to how many minutes it is going to take to set all this up. It likely will be cheaper to drop back to 1gbit and all your current...

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
Hi a little bit of an update it says ethernet port aggragation in my router is inactive and when I try to enable it. It still says inactive. The cable modem does not support it But it does have an 2.5 gig ethernet port. So I still do not know how to use the router with the 2. 5 GBPS Link in my network and sharing for a link speed.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,

Okay so I have a netgear nighthawk router RAX70 I also have a cable modem the Arris s33 Cable modem which supports up to 3.5 GBPS Now I have an ethernet cable (cat7) plugged into the 2.5 GBPS port on the back of the cable modem and I have the other end plugged into the Wan port on the back of the router. Then I have another ethernet cable plugged into a regular ethernet port on the back of my router and the other end plugged into the back of my computer into my 10GB Ethernet card tp-link Ethernet card. My issue is when I plug the cable modem into my computer directly bypassing the router I'm able to get 2.5 GBPS for a link speed. It shows this when I go into my network and connection sharing in my windows 11 OS Desktop computer. Which gives me much higher speeds when I run a speedtest from speedtest.net well over a gig 1,440 and change. Something like that. But when I plug the ethernet cable going from the 2.5 gig port on the modem to the wan port on the router and then the other ethernet cable going from a regular ethernet port on the back of the router too the 10gb ethernet card. Not onboard. It will not let me set the link speed to 2.5 GBPS. It only allows me to set either 1 gig or Auto negotiate. So I'm wondering why this is happening? Is it because the ports on the router are only 1 gig for speed? Or is it saomething elso? When it trys to detect the network using 2.5 for a link speed it says Unidentified network and then just does nothing and I can't connect to the internet I have no Ipv4 connectivity. Is it the router causing this or something else? And if it is the router could you maybe recommend a netgear nighthawk router that has the actual ports that have a speed higher than 1 gig. Not the router itself but the ports on the router Because I have an RAX70 Netgear nighthawk router and this is the router I'm having the issue with. And I spent pretty good money for this router. And still the ports themselves only support 1 gig for speed. So I want to make sure I get something where the ports themselves support higher than 1 gig for speed. Or I will just use a straight cable modem connection which works. For a 2.5 GBPS Link Speed reading.

Thank you!!
If you look at the "Tech Specs" of the router -- https://www.netgear.com/nz/home/wifi/routers/rax70/ It says the ports are all 1gb max.
Aggregation means you use two ports to get greater than 1Gb.
You are limited to 1GE with that router.

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
If you look at the "Tech Specs" of the router -- https://www.netgear.com/nz/home/wifi/routers/rax70/ It says the ports are all 1gb max.
Okay that's what I thought. Now let me ask. If I may. I have 2 onboard ethernet controllers also on my motherboard but both of them are 1 gig ports as well But if I go any enable one and plug it into the router will I achieve the 2.5 link speed. Because it is now working in conjunction with the 10 gig ethernet card that I have and the router and the s33 Arris cable modem that has a 2.5 gig port that I'm currently plugged into just not using at the moment. Or will I have to go out and buy a multi gig port router from netgear nighthawk and use that? Now If I do that I won't need Link port aggragation enabled in the router just The Muti gig port setting right? Or would I have to have both enabled. I don't even know why this particular router has a muti gig port setting in this router Link aggragation? You can't use either of them anyways? Also can you send me a link maybe to a multi gig Netgear Nighthawk router that will work. and support the 2.5 gig link speed?

Thank you so much!!

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
Yeah I guess I need another router or I have to go with just the straight cable modem which is 2.5 on the port and the ethernet card supports up to 10 gigs. The 2 onboard ethernet controllers I can't do anything with or convert as they are only 1 GBPS also

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
So I'm not really sure what to do here. I have to ethernet controllers onboard on the motherboard but they are 1 gig as well. So should I Bute the bullett and get a another router with muti gig ports or should I get a switch or Just do nothing in your opinion I mean really it's up to me.

Before you go really far stop and ask yourself why do you want more than 1gbit. If you are one of those torrent guys I will just shake my head and you can ignore the rest.

Pretty much all a faster connection does is reduce the download time of large files. It has no impact on almost any kind of traffic. Things like netflix only use what they need which is well under 25mbps even for 4k video. Stuff like web browsing uses almost none and stuff like online games are under 1mbps in a lot of cases.

So you have to ask yourself how many minutes per month do you save in your downloads compared to how many minutes it is going to take to set all this up. It likely will be cheaper to drop back to 1gbit and all your current equipment is fine with no extra money. When my current discounted contract comes up I will have to ask myself do I drop to their 500mbps or is 1gbit worth it. I can actually get 5gbit if I want to pay for it.

Anyway to directly answer your question.

You need a router that has faster ports both for the wan and lan. It would be nice if you could use a switch but the path must be ISP---modem---router----switch. The key things a so called "router" does for a home user is share the single IP the ISP gives you with multi machines.

There are a couple of companies that make things that look like switches but are actual router. Since I am lazy today I will let you search their pages. Microtik and maybe ubiquiti are a good first option. On microtik look for devices that run the routeros rather than the switchos.

You could then use your current router as a AP to provide the wifi.

Solution